Plants for tanks with apple snails and crayfish (separate tanks)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mambo2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have two tanks, one with an apple snail and 5 of her babies, 3 small cats and a pleco to eat algae and junk. This tank has a dwarf red lily that they seem to leave alone. It has moderate light from a south-facing window but no tank lighting

My other tank has only one crayfish; it eats any other living thing! I also has window lighting only, but only gets direct eastern sunlight until about 9-10am

I'm looking for ideas for the tank with the crayfish; it has low light, higher ph, and I think I need floating plants or something like a moss ball that can be fastened out of reach.

The snails like blanched vegetables but don't seem to go for plants as long as they have enough of their favorite foods available (I think it was the crayfish that shredded all the plants when they were all in the same tank- stupid newbie me!)

Both tanks have problems with algae and, I think, diatoms so my filters clog easily- I probably am still over-feeding.

I will not be using CO2 or fertilizer other than the natural kind! :fish1:

I've read that moss balls, Nano Marimo, help starve the algae and keep it under control and don't need much light; any one with experience?

What other plants could I try without breaking the bank?
What plant could I float in the crayfish tank? I don't think she can crawl up that high.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Both tanks have problems with algae and, I think, diatoms so my filters clog easily- I probably am still over-feeding.

What other plants could I try without breaking the bank?
What plant could I float in the crayfish tank? I don't think she can crawl up that high.

Any suggestions are welcome!

I can't answer too many of your planted tank questions, but I can tell you there are pretty much no plants that are 100% safe for a crayfish tank. They are perfectly safe for the crayfish, but you will generally not be able to stop your cray from eating the plants.

As far as over-feeding, you really only need to feed a crayfish every other day. Some people say more, some say less. But if you find that it's giving you issues, hold back on the feeding. You could also put plant cuttings from your other tank and leave it in the crayfish tank for her to graze as she pleases.

Window light can be an issue with algae. I use black background and lights on timers. No more than 8 hours a day. 6 hours if Algae is an issue.

I use foam over my intakes to protect my RCS babies. I just rinse that out as needed and my filters don't get clogged. I have to rinse the foam frequently but if works for me.

Floating plants like duckweed or water lettuce would be ok with the crayfish, beyond that as stated, its going to eat whatever you put in there.

Back
Top Bottom