Some questions about mystery snail eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

570beardsman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, I have a 10 gallon tank with 3 random tropical fish, 2 dwarf frogs and a blue mystery snail. About a week ago the snail laid a clutch of eggs above the waterline thats about 1.5 inches long. I'm not completely sure if I want to get rid of them or let them hatch.

If I let them hatch will they cause any problems? I don't have a problem maintaining them or anything like that, I just don't want them to pose a danger to any of the other fish or frogs.

My next question only applies if I decide to keep them.

The tank needs to be cleaned very soon. What would be the best thing to do with the eggs while the tank is being cleaned. And what should I do with them afterwards? Should I place them back in the tank (I'm assuming no), or put them in another container?

Any help would be appreciated.

You only have the one snail? Is she new? You see, it takes a male and a female with mystery snails but she could have come to your tank pre-seeded... The eggs need to be above water to hatch successfully. Some folks will remove the eggs and place on a piece of mesh over another tank to keep their fish from eating the baby snails but it's certainly easier to just leave them where they are.

BTW, they lay clutches of hundreds of tiny eggs. Your fish are in no danger from them hatching but ten gallons will get small in a hurry with a good hatch rate. You should have a plan for the babies if you are inclined to let them hatch.

Back
Top Bottom