Dry Bay leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jecolaco

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks,
Importance of dry Bay leaves in the aquarium hobby?

Thanks & Regards!

Cant find much reference of them being used in the aquarium hobby beyond a discussion that leaves from ornamental bay trees are toxic. I assume you are talking about food grade dried bay leafs rather than leaves you have picked and dried yourself?

I would say they are of no importance to the aquarium hobby at all. Im sure someone, somewhere probably uses bay leaves, but its not common.

A lot of these leafs used in the aquatics hobby are from deciduous trees and the leaves gathered are fallen dead leafs rather than picked and dried. So the tree has reabsorbed a lot of the nutrients and minerals that may harm anything in your tank. Bay tree is evergreen i think, so the leaves are unlikely to be fallen dead leafs.

I wouldnt risk it without someone confirming they have personally done this or at least knows someone who has. But, if you do, let us know how you get on.

There is a culinary leaf and it is good for food. And an ornamental type which is toxic.

So at best at least knowing which one you habe would be important.

A toxic leaf in a river would be diluted with the amounts of water, but in a closed system like a home aquarium, it could potentially cause illness.

Back
Top Bottom