Why fancy goldfish require big tanks- visual perspective

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How big is the baby telescope now? Would be interesting to see pics :)

We shall see in the spring! This winter has been the coldest I have encountered since moving to the Philly area (almost a decade and a half ago) and I am hoping everyone handles it ok!

Rabena, peas are find for everyone to eat. :)

I hope your fishies do ok.

We are having a pretty hot summer (up to 47 at my Mum's place!), and we generally follow the North American weather, so likely to also have a cold winter. Hope Ground Hog Day brings good news for you!

I like that you used the word "rescue" for the feeder fish. Some of them are so pretty. I just recently rescued 2, 10 cents each and set them up. I'm happy as a clam with them.

Well done with your little rescues!

The feeder tank at the lfs makes me very sad, and so I try not to walk past it.

I know how you feel, Roz. I've rescued fish from there before. I had one of them for 8 years! She got very big. I don't like to look at the feeder mice either and have rescued a couple of them too. One time I found one sitting on a snake cage in a pet store. I guess it had escaped. I picked it up and put it in my purse and home we went. Had the little rascal for a year or so. They aren't long lived, but she had a good life. You could say I stole it, but I really saved it's life.

Hi

I will have two fancies one Black Moor and Oranda in a 40 gallon Is that me fully stocked or is there room for one more fancy? I am happy to keep just these two as they get on so well but just wondered?

Just want to again say how great this thread is, the pic is perfect...why can't my Goldfish go into a 10G? Because it gets as big as (or bigger than) the 10 gallon tank! Sent many people over here to see this amazing comparison.

Great visual. Beautiful fish too! Can I ask what size tank you raise your fish in and what diet you feed them. I am relatively new to keeping goldfish and I want to make sure they are receiving the best care and you obviously know what your doing.

Seriously... I bought 3 fantail goldfishes for my 30 gallon tank from Petsmart, thinking of those goldfish in vase. I asked the employee there if buying 3 for 30 gal is fine, and she kept on saying 30 gallon is the minimum so I just bought 3.

Hopefully I can get a bigger tank for them before they get big enough to eat ottos I put with them. Goldfish is definitely not a fish for beginners without proper equipments.

I work in a Petsmart and have to deal with goldfish Killers all day. I saved this picture so that I can talk customers out of inappropriate purchases. thank you for this resource.

Sent from my N9510 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My husband is planning on upgrading to a 75g next year. I'm totally stealing his 55 for my goldies!

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Goldfish size

Hi, Thanks for the picture.It is very hard to get the message across,especially to parents who see the goldfish for the children and so called Goldfish bowls are still sold as such,often in the same pet shop,not only very small but also no filtering at all.Also do fairs still give goldfish as prizes with no information of how to keep them?I don't know.
As we all know Goldfish can be great petsfor the price, but more information on there correct care needs to be available especially when they are sold.There is still this rumour about, that the fish only grow too the size of the container they are in.
All the best to everyone.

Hi

I will have two fancies one Black Moor and Oranda in a 40 gallon Is that me fully stocked or is there room for one more fancy? I am happy to keep just these two as they get on so well but just wondered?

Hi there! I am actually going to do the same thing (except I have a 50 gal)! I got the ok to get four in my tank (with an upgrade later of course). If I can do four fancies in a 50, I don't see why you couldn't do two (you could do three) in a 40 gal. I would consider talking to jlk, shes the goldfish expert!

I used to have two giant telescope eyed like the OP, measuring 9 inches (excluding tail length). I had two in a bare bottom 95 gallon tank and water was impossible to keep clean due to the amount of waste they produce assuming you feed them a few times a day. This was 20 years ago using two large power filters.

With the use of today's giant sump filters I wonder if it would be possible to keep the water clear. How big should the sump filter be if I want crystal clear water while doing a water change only once a week? Maybe I should ask this in a monster fish forum...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I used to have two giant telescope eyed like the OP, measuring 9 inches (excluding tail length). I had two in a bare bottom 95 gallon tank and water was impossible to keep clean due to the amount of waste they produce assuming you feed them a few times a day. This was 20 years ago using two large power filters.

With the use of today's giant sump filters I wonder if it would be possible to keep the water clear. How big should the sump filter be if I want crystal clear water while doing a water change only once a week? Maybe I should ask this in a monster fish forum...

My big moms are presently in a 175g 'tank' that's run with two 30g sumps stuffed full of media (plus a 10g overflow) and powered by 1hp pond pump. It seems to be working fairly well and stays reasonably clean with one 75+% water change a week. :)

How many fish and approximately what size? Did you build the sump yourself?

Back
Top Bottom