Why fancy goldfish require big tanks- visual perspective

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How many fish and approximately what size? Did you build the sump yourself?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's actually a commercial fish bin that you may see in a hatchery. The sump tanks are built in. In the winter, my expensive fish go into 150g pools with an internal and external 20g homemade sump-type filters run with smaller pond pumps than this 'tank' is using.

Presently, there are my two giant female telescopes (pictured earlier in the thread), another smaller female, two large male moors, an androgynous ryukin and a juvenile chocolate telescope. So, six adults plus a youngster. Everyone is headed back into the pond as soon as I reduce the sarassa population....

Where can you buy such commercial fish bins? I've been looking at rubbermaids which have 300 gallon tanks designed to carry water for cows and horses to drink. Haven't found any similar tanks designed for fish keeping.

Where can you buy such commercial fish bins? I've been looking at rubbermaids which have 300 gallon tanks designed to carry water for cows and horses to drink. Haven't found any similar tanks designed for fish keeping.

I will be honest, I am not sure! I would start by looking online. I see them every so often on Craigslist but mine came from an auction. Rubbermaid troughs work just fine but figuring out how to drain them for wcs and running filtration can be a bit tricky.

Dang, I'm going to have to get bigger tanks soon. I've doing tropicals for over forty years, and fell in love with some black moors I saw. My experience with tropicals isn't a great deal help with golds I'm finding out, other than knowing how to control water parameters. I've too many golds in too small of tanks! But I have a little time, and I've found great deals on Craigslist. Also waiting to see if Petco does the dollar per gallon thing soon!

I sure appreciate this forum, as I would have been dumbfounded on some aspects. I did't really realize that golds grew THAT fast!

Dang, I'm going to have to get bigger tanks soon. I've doing tropicals for over forty years, and fell in love with some black moors I saw. My experience with tropicals isn't a great deal help with golds I'm finding out, other than knowing how to control water parameters. I've too many golds in too small of tanks! But I have a little time, and I've found great deals on Craigslist. Also waiting to see if Petco does the dollar per gallon thing soon!

I sure appreciate this forum, as I would have been dumbfounded on some aspects. I did't really realize that golds grew THAT fast!

Petco sale around the 21st. Get those big tanks!

June 29 Sunday, $1 per gallon at Petco, 20 to 55 gallon models only, tetra brand only.

Not saying that I disagree with this thread and I know a lot of people do house goldfish (fancy or otherwise) in inadequately sized aquariums. However it is worth noting that, unlike other fish, goldfish produce growth inhibitor hormones such as somatostatin that regulates their growth based on the size of the body of water they are in.

Not saying that I disagree with this thread and I know a lot of people do house goldfish (fancy or otherwise) in inadequately sized aquariums. However it is worth noting that, unlike other fish, goldfish produce growth inhibitor hormones such as somatostatin that regulates their growth based on the size of the body of water they are in.

All fish will "regulate their growth" - its called stunting and it has very negative effects on the health and lifespan of the fish. Externally they stop growing but their organs continue to grow.

Wow, Great Thread!!! Amazing Picture of size comparison!!! Does anyone have this kind of picture of Comet Goldfish? My Daughter won a Calico Comet Goldfish at a Carnival and I want to get it across to my Wife that our 10 gallon is Way Too Small!! She is Frugal and It is hard to convince her of the Need to spend more money. Honestly, I feel spending more Now, will save money Later!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Wow, Great Thread!!! Amazing Picture of size comparison!!! Does anyone have this kind of picture of Comet Goldfish? My Daughter won a Calico Comet Goldfish at a Carnival and I want to get it across to my Wife that our 10 gallon is Way Too Small!! She is Frugal and It is hard to convince her of the Need to spend more money. Honestly, I feel spending more Now, will save money Later!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Dumb carnival people. Start keeping your eyes open on craigslist or thrift stores for a big tank. Start the upgrade search now, as that IS NOT enough room. Even if you get a 29G long tank while you design a pond or look for a really big tank, lol.

Petco usually has a $1 per gallon tank sale for the glass tank part too.

Like a 60 or 65G Comets get really long and so a 55G which seems pretty good, is only 12 inches from front of glass to back of glass, wouldn't end up being very good turn around room for a 12+" fish after it grew up. IMHO.

Though to be truthful it likely needs a pond to live it's adult life in.

You can always post an ad looking for a tank, and also just email people that are selling them, especially if they say they are moving, and tell them you are offering $XX.00 if it doesn't sell give you a call and you will pick it up asap!!! Could work well with BIG tanks because they want too much money and they don't sell then they get desperate to get rid of it as moving day arrives. I have seen this before.

What you really need is a BIG filter, or a couple filters. Good fish keeping for your new prize. You may want to rehome it and opt for an easier to keep aquatic pet.

Last edited:
Thank you Autumnsky!! Once I did the research, the night she won it, I knew it was going to be a challenge. I think it is So Cruel to give goldfish as a prize to kids and display them in a tiny bowl. The parents figure they will Never Win one and do the Least to keep it alive as long as possible. Unfortunately, the goldfish gets the reputation of being the fish that dies after two week.... The cheap Goldfish and Betta Tanks become a Toilet that never gets flushed. They need to show the size they get and what is needed to allow them to Live!

I am alway searching the internet for deals, whether she wants it or not, I Will keep this fish Alive!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 181
Thanks for the visual but how much tank room do they need?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are You Sitting Down?

Hi NatureFish,

For ONE Comet Goldfish.... It is recommended by multiple sites, that the Minimum Aquarium Size (for the Goldfish ONLY) is 30 GALLONS!! + at Least 10 Additional Gallons for each additional.

They can get over 12" long and Live Over 20 Years!!! :microwave:

Mine is in 10g but I am currently looking for bigger. We can already see that he has gotten bigger and it has only been just under 4 weeks.

Found this great size comparison on Google.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 161
Ok thank you! I'm trying to look for cold water breeds to stock my ten gallon!

The only ones I know of are the Danios and White Cloud Minnows. There are a few really good Goldfish Only websites that talk about fish that can handle the cold water with the goldfish.

What about neon tetras? Or rosy red minnows?

I have read that Neon Tetra prefer water temp 76-82 degrees (F) which is above the upper realm of the goldfish's comfort. Just remember, I am a newbee and am finding my info on this site and doing a Lot of Google Searches. The Rosy Red can live in Cold or Warm.

Petco usually has a $1 per gallon tank sale for the glass tank part too.

I noticed Petsmart just started a sale that includes the Marineland 75g Aquarium Majesty Ensemble (with stand, glass lid and led light bar) at $100 Off! $399, reg $499!!

The above mentioned fish Zebra and Leopard Danio by the way, not others, they like it a little warmer. I saw good for same temp as GF and also Platy and Guppies are listed by Liveaquaria as 64-75F. Personally have kept guppies in cool conditions.

Back
Top Bottom