20gal Reef Planning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well this isn't the first time I've planned a reef aquarium. I was planning on a 30g a long time ago (some of you might remember my thread) but I just don't have the space for one that big. However, I have a perfect spot for a 20 long aquarium, and I think it'd be a good size for me just to introduce myself to reefs and see if I like it or not. My fowlr is starting to bore me, so I think around Christmastime I'll start off this aquarium. However, I'd like to start planning now.

So currently in my 10g fowlr I have a purple firefish, a baby clown goby, two scarlet skunk shrimp, a blood fire shrimp, two nassarius snails (however they've been dying lately. I used to have more :( ), and a hermit crab. What can I add? I'd like to get more nassarius snails and maybe some cerith snails, and also something to take care of algae. And can I add a pair of ocellaris clowns as well? I'd also like a lot of invertebrates, so shrimp, snail, and crab suggestions are appreciated.

As for corals, I just want to keep it simple. Zoanthids, mushroom corals, and maybe some other softies. Suggestions? I also want to keep favite brain corals. I've always admired it and would love to give it a try.

And my final question is supplies. Suggestions on lighting, filtration, and buffers are appreciated.

Hope I can get some help. Thanks!

this is the light I just ordered for my 20g Reef build

Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

it will give you enough light for most Med Light and lower corals from everything Ive read/asked already

Filter wise, you can add a HOB refugium but if you have enought Live Sand and Live Rock, with some power heads, you really dont need one in a 20g. With your PWC you should be ok, Im building one out of an old filter that I have laying around.

Hope that helps, Im not expert in SW but Im learning pretty fast as I set up mine.

I think a pair of clowns would be too much for your 10...And if you want a clownfish still, I think just one would be okay in a 20. You could get a cleaner shrimp..really great invert to have! Zoas, mushrooms, softies/leathers, and most LPS are easy to take care of. Trying to keep nitrates/phosphates, down, and temp and other parameters stable will be the main difference. Suggest trying out some zoas/mushroom/soft coral and see how that does for a little while then advance toward LPS. LPS corals don't need to be fed, but they grow faster when spot fed :) Good luck and keep us updated when you start!

Thanks a bunch. I might actually not start this tank. I have to see what happens. Hopefully I will soon.

Hmm I might try it. My 10g is a pretty unstable tank alone though. I guess we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom