45 gallon vertical tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Argabrightfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I purchased a 45 gallon glass aquarium about a year and 4 months ago. I have been using it as a quarantine tank but it's a bit too tall and thin. Fish have been fighting in it. I was thinking about purchasing rock and building a pillar in the middle and creating a deep sand bed. However that probably won't negate the aggression problem. What kind of fish will most likely work? I'm thinking a peaceful setup or a specimen tank for an eel would be best but I'm open to other ideas; I normally fall into the semi aggressive - aggressive fish category so nothing really comes to mind for predatory or peaceful fish.

It's hard to tell someone what kind of setup they should make, but I usually point people to liveaquaria.com to look around to find something that they like.
The only thing I can say is that there aren't any eels that will do well long term in this size of tank. Even the snowflake, which has the smallest tank size requirements to my knowledge, is in the 55 range. They just make such a mess when they eat the water can get fouled up on top of size and escape factor can make it a difficult choice.

It's hard to tell someone what kind of setup they should make, but I usually point people to liveaquaria.com to look around to find something that they like.
The only thing I can say is that there aren't any eels that will do well long term in this size of tank. Even the snowflake, which has the smallest tank size requirements to my knowledge, is in the 55 range. They just make such a mess when they eat the water can get fouled up on top of size and escape factor can make it a difficult choice.

Okay, thank you for your input.

I had the same problem with my cube. I think tall aquariums in general aren't good because there's more vertical than horizontal swimming which lead to ultimately less space & more fish encounters. I had to beautiful & thriving tangs. One was a hippie tang & the other a yellow, both babies, & were super confident about her environment. They began fighting every time they ran into each other which didn't happen in the small 10 gallon quarantine I had them in for two months but since the cube is more vertical, they began bumping into each other & using their attacks on each other. Didn't end well, thew yellow tang got hurt badly by the hippie tang & ended up passing away. Anyway, I think vertical tanks are just a bad idea.

For that reason, I say go with peaceful fish like the ocelaris clown fish & various anemones.

Back
Top Bottom