Caleb getting salty!?! No way..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know I am jumping in late here, lol, but figured why not?

I used to run aquaclears on my smaller tanks and they did very well for me. I ran carbon every other month, the sponge that comes with it and chemipure elite. The chemioure is good for several months too but isnt rechargeable as far as I know. It has gfo in it which can help curb phosphates and in turn algae growth.

You seem to have a great start, you got a lot of great advice from the others. :)

For hanging my lights i used the store bought hang brackets from current, but they were $90! They do the job perfectly and since I can't figure out much diy it fit the bill for me.

A warning on those leds'. they are extremely extremely bright. I burned every single coral I had with them and never got the hang of them to be honest. lol I ended up going back to t5's on the one tank. If you do get corals just know to acclimate them to the light and start at like the lowest setting and work your way up. you most likely will never have them above 50% for each channel just so you know. :)

Good luck! I will continue to follow along.

Thanks Carey! Welcome aboard! :)

I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to do the lights yet it's a working progress. The tank will take the place of the 45g in my room and is open on 3 sides.

I still have to read up on coral acclimation and moving it from the LFS. I know 0 about that.

And once I finally get everything set up I'll tinker without how I'm going to work with the light so hopefully I don't burn up my work of art. I guess I got so worried about not getting a strong enough light that I went overboard :p *flashback to planted with Finnex*

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

UPDATE!! :) goldfish is in a neighbors pond now! Tank is partially set up.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430086002.449360.jpg

Almost everything is coming in tommorow. then set up will begin! Started filling up the RODI jugs because my system is so slow.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Sounds good. :) Are you using an aquaclear 50? Not sure what you decided on.
Some other items you may not have gotten: a refractometer to test salinity. You can get one for like $30 and it is WAAAAY more accurate than the cheap $12 swing arms. This is even more important with your tank since it is small, salt levels can change abruptly and you need accuracy.
A mag float for the algae: about $10. It will also wipe off micro bubbles and dirt that may accumulate during your cycle.

Depending on your stock choices you may want to make a screen top, for the jumpers, since gobies and blennies are from my experience jumpers alot of times.

I really can't think of anything else specific that you need, I think you have all the bases covered. lol

Sounds good. :) Are you using an aquaclear 50? Not sure what you decided on.
Some other items you may not have gotten: a refractometer to test salinity. You can get one for like $30 and it is WAAAAY more accurate than the cheap $12 swing arms. This is even more important with your tank since it is small, salt levels can change abruptly and you need accuracy.
A mag float for the algae: about $10. It will also wipe off micro bubbles and dirt that may accumulate during your cycle.

Depending on your stock choices you may want to make a screen top, for the jumpers, since gobies and blennies are from my experience jumpers alot of times.

I really can't think of anything else specific that you need, I think you have all the bases covered. lol

Thanks for the tips Carey.

It's an Aquaclear 30. I have an extra 10g filter if I need to double up.

I got the Red Sea Refractometer:) NEW.

Is a mag float just one of those magnetic algae scrapers?

I'll see about the screen top because I was looking at Rainford's goby it's just a cute little guy.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks for the tips Carey.

It's an Aquaclear 30. I have an extra 10g filter if I need to double up.

I got the Red Sea Refractometer:) NEW.

Is a mag float just one of those magnetic algae scrapers?

I'll see about the screen top because I was looking at Rainford's goby it's just a cute little guy.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

They sure are! Mine has never tried to jump. Mag-Float is a brand of magnetic/floating algae cleaners. They make life easier and are worth the price compared to the cheaper ones.

zCkAqHZ.jpg

I use mag-floats even on my freshwater tanks. Those things are a godsend. And I've tried the cheaper ones, don't make that mistake.

They sure are! Mine has never tried to jump. Mag-Float is a brand of magnetic/floating algae cleaners. They make life easier and are worth the price compared to the cheaper ones.

zCkAqHZ.jpg

Thanks Paul he is gorgeous! Making me want him more now lol

I use mag-floats even on my freshwater tanks. Those things are a godsend. And I've tried the cheaper ones, don't make that mistake.

I might get another just for the GSA in the planted tank. Great idea.

EDIT: 2 mag floats on the way because my planted tank is tired of having an arm scrub it by hand for an hour.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Last edited:
I hate the red sea refrwctometer. I always need to recalibrate on every use

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't rush into getting the Rainfordi Goby until you have some sort of filamentous algae present in the tank. Also they are very doctile fish so I wouldn't plan to add anything to aggressive with it.

I wouldn't rush into getting the Rainfordi Goby until you have some sort of filamentous algae present in the tank. Also they are very doctile fish so I wouldn't plan to add anything to aggressive with it.

I plan on as peaceful as possible like the goby, a cleaner shrimp and maybe a sexy shrimp. Maybe a hermit. It's all up in the air till I start cycling.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Speaking of.. How long does filamentous algae take to set in?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Like everything in this hobby, it is a very simple answer. About as long as a piece of string.

Not going to lie I had to look that one up. LOL can't remember hearing it before. In that case, what are some telltale signs it has set in?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Not going to lie I had to look that one up. LOL can't remember hearing it before. In that case, what are some telltale signs it has set in?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

It may not take long. Any kind of hair/grass looking algae. They seem to graze on it though mine sifts the sand a little more then I see him pick at the algae.

Back
Top Bottom