Damsels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin0329

Aquarium Advice Freak
Why is it that having damsels in your tank or using them as starter fish are frowned upon? Is it simply that they are somewhat aggressive when they get older or is there more to it?

Yes it is more to it when your tank is new its cycles so your parameters is fluctuating one way our the other and that poor fish is having to deal with it

in the days gone it used to be the way to cycle your tank but moving forward now it is fishless cycling. (look it up on this website there are loads of articles).

I'm not quite sure if he's asking about cycling...damsels were great starter fish back when because they were hardy, and cheap. Most everyone I knew started off with either damsels or chromis, and chromis aren't as nice looking as some damsles. But damsels after sometime become very territorial and aggressive. They have a big attitude and will bully even the largest fish. That is why it is recommended, if you do want a damsel, to add them last. Trust me, I added two three-stripped damsels first and after 8 months I couldn't add anything to my tank. They even killed my cleaner wrasse. Once it's too late, they're really hard to catch in a complete set up. If I were to do it again, I'd start with a couple, maybe three chromis.

When you say starter fish you mean first fish in a cycled tank or a fish to cycle the tank? Cycling a tank with a fish is opening your tank up to disease because stressed fish are more likely to get ich and things like that.

I think people get a damsel because of the pressure of the sales person at the store. "It is easy and hardy, bulletproof" when I hear that I want to snap. If they are the first fish in the tank. they establish their territory first. That means it could be the whole tank so any other fish added will be chases and bullied. Do your research and find a fish that is easy and peaceful or at least compatible with the fish you are wanting.

I have a damsel and now she is in a 45 gallon with a lemonpeel. They get along and I will set up another tank if things start to go badly. She hasn't been that hard to catch in smaller tanks since I hand fed her but in this larger tank it will mean probably taking out all the rock. I do like her and don't want to get rid of it although I have had friends tell me they will take her, but I know that I will give her a good home and life.

Thank you. I was more or less asking about their behavior rather than having anything to do with cycling the tank. I did a fishless cycle and it finally has finished. Took about 6 weeks. I was just asking about them because I have seen a few that I like but I didnt want to end up with a fish that prevents me from adding others in the future as you all have basically confirmed would be almost hopeless.

Back
Top Bottom