film on water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My 20 gallon tank is almost done cycling. I just noticed a film on the surface of the water. I have plenty of water movement with my hob filter, skimmer, and two power heads. My skimmer is still breaking in so is this why I see the film or is it something else ?

My 20 gallon tank is almost done cycling. I just noticed a film on the surface of the water. I have plenty of water movement with my hob filter, skimmer, and two power heads. My skimmer is still breaking in so is this why I see the film or is it something else ?
how much sunlight is there hitting the tank?

It's located on an inside wall near my hallway so no direct light at all. Just the ambient room light..

What filtration, power heads, and skimmer. Could be excess. Nutrients. Please show pics if possible. Usually happends when water is stagnent.

I guess we will have ro wait then until we can get a pic right?
could be dirt or gunk from any decorations, plants, or rock and gravel. Or maybe if he/she has put fish or anything in the tank recently and has put some of the bag water in it may have contained a bacteria? Still really weird though

here's some pictures. Lots of micro bubbles from my skimmer. I did try to point one of my power heads up to break the surface tension but so far, no luck

Attachments

• film 001.jpg
    film 001.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 82
  • film 002.jpg
    film 002.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 57
here's some pictures. Lots of micro bubbles from my skimmer. I did try to point one of my power heads up to break the surface tension but so far, no luck

What filtration and skimmer. Could be the cause. It is very high chance of excess nutrients. Be scarce on feeding if so.

Haven't tried that. I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank and this happens from time to time. I was told that the film was a layer of protein and better water movement would help and it does on my big tank but so far doesn't help help on this salt tank.

Haven't tried that. I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank and this happens from time to time. I was told that the film was a layer of protein and better water movement would help and it does on my big tank but so far doesn't help help on this salt tank.
sounds like it makes sense. Maybe put ur power heads to blow toward the filtration or up to break up the water a lot? I'm really not to sure

Thanks.
Going to my lfs tomorrow. Will have to ask. I'm really excited about getting some fish when the cycle is complete so I hope this won't be a set back. this is my first salt tank.

Here's something you could try. Take a sheet of paper towel and place it on the surface and quickly remove it. A lot of the protein film will stick to the paper towel. You can repeat as needed. Not a permanent fix but should remove most of it.

Thanks.
Going to my lfs tomorrow. Will have to ask. I'm really excited about getting some fish when the cycle is complete so I hope this won't be a set back. this is my first salt tank.

Do a 10% water change to get all of the film off the surface. Could be Cyanobacteria or algea growing on the surface... Point the 2nd powerhead towards the surface and does you skimmer skim the surface or the water?

Back
Top Bottom