Hangers-on or "Live rock hobo's"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raker333

Aquarium Advice Activist
Stupid question....

What kind of wildlife could possibly come out of live rock?
Just wanting to know what to look for

Thanks in advance

Raker333

Well, it depends on the size of rock. If your talkin about hitch-hickers then aything from brittle stars, crabs, snails, featherdusters, even some fish.
I bought a piece of LR from PetCo a couple of months back and it had a Niger trigger in it. lol

I have about a hundred small feather dusters in my tank because of live rock. I also have a black sail fin blennie in my tank that was in some live rock but I got him at LFS and in water. You wont get live fish in LR in a box from online. Micro stars and crabs also I got from live rock

You can get ANYTHING from live rock. People have even discovered fish in their LR. I personally got a few cool snails, different hermit crabs and a small serpent star fish. It's common to get mantis shrimp, urchins, assorted starfish, crabs of all types, featherdusters, corals, snails etc.

Keep in mind that the "live" in live rock really refers to the benefical bacteria that colonize on it. You can not see this stuff. Some LR, depending on the quality and where it is from will also contain corals, sponges, feather dusters, macro algae as well as the commone htich hikers desrcribed here.

Back
Top Bottom