How to get rid of purplish deposits on glass (with picture)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djmpj2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can someone please tell me how to remove the purplish circular deposits that are forming all over my glass (see pciture)? I've tried the magnet and the algae scraper with the long handle to no avail. I have a feeling it is the same coraline growth that we love to see on our live rock but is not so beautiful on our glass!

http://jeffries.smugmug.com/gallery/646323/1/30272889

TIA
D

your right it's coraline algae so many want and have problems growing... Use a razor blade... I Use a commercial floor scraper that has a 4" razor blade and a plastic handle, works great..
Your going to need to get your hands wet for this one :wink:
It is a glass tank right!!!

Thank you for the quick responses! Yes, the tank is glass. I will get a razor scrapper and give that a try.

Thanks again~
D

A razor will go through it so much better than the Kent SS scraper. I saw a guy one time that slotted a piece of PVC and put the razor in it. Sometimes you just have to get wet :)

Credit card, bank card anything that is stiff with even a dull edge is enough to remove it from the glass. Get used to it as it will grow back constantly.

i am curious about my neon green coralline. I was scraping it off with a blade, and it curls up, almost like a crepe. It lands on the substrate. Will the coralline be a result of waste, or can i leave it on the sand. I have another question about my newly esablished lighting schedule.

6:00 am-Actinics On
7:00 am-10,000k On
7:00 pm-10,000k Off
8:00 pm-Actinic Off
8:30 pm-Lunar Lights On
5:30 am-Lunar Lights Off
1) Does this cycle look good to you?
2) Will the neon green coralline turn purple with the two hours of pure actinic lighting?

take it from me, just because it grows on glass, does not mean it will grow on rock *sigh*

I've never done anything to intentionally promote the growth but order our rock from liverock.com. That would be my suggestion if you are trying to get more coraline growth!

D

Brenden said:
If you have this problem with a acrylic tank how do you remove it?

Any non-metalic but still stiff scraper will work, such as the suggested credit card or kent scraper.

pufferman, That sounds funny they way your algae just curls up... My coraline when I scrape it off turns to almost dust like in the water... The only time I get large pieces is when my Old thick coraline chips off the back of the tank in large pieces. Is the algae soft to the touch ?

no, it is kind of rough to the touch. The only way of getting it off is to scrape with a razor blade. It only really started when i added doses of calcium.

Is this a common problem? You are scaring me. I do not want to have this problem with my tank.

No I do not. I am concered because of the size of my tank and I can not use a razor blade on acrylic. I do have it all over the rocks though.

Back
Top Bottom