Weird Stuff Growing on Glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

disucsfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
White Fungus?? Growing on Glass

Hello everyone,

So I have seen many forums on this topic and have seen a lot of suggestions but not too many solutions. First here are my specs on my tank:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
Nothing Wrong with Fish
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites, 5ppm nitrates, 80F, 7 pH
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 30 gallon, 1 year
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. Cascade 1000
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? 8 neon tetras, 4 blue rams
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? today 10% no vaccum today...... change 10% daily 30% water change every 2 weeks with gravel vaccuming
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? Fish for a year
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?No
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? They eat fish flakes and freeze dried blood worms

Problem:
So I have had this tank running for a while and about 3 months ago this white dandelion fluff looking thing is all over my glass and some are on the decorations of the tank. Picture is provided. I have read people suggesting it could be dirt, hydra, or fungus.

Screenshot_20170408-173558.jpg Screenshot_20170408-173607.jpg

These are methods I have already attempted to get rid of this thing over the past 3 months or so
1. wipe the tank glass and do major water changes
2. boil the decorations, gravel, bleach most things and filter and recycled the whole tank
3. added salt to water
4. use anti fungus (but cant remember if it disappeared now)

These things are not harming my fish but if I dont keep tabs on it and it gets out of hand it will infest my tank and the water quality will be crap!

Please please help...... im at my wits end.... im currently debating on doing PraziPro.. or potassium permangante... or Copper Sulfate ... or anti fluke medicine...

I don't think you need to go nuclear, and it doesn't look like anything parasite related.

In your photos, it doesn't look very bad. Stuff like this can be hard to photograph. My guess is fungus or algae. What is your light cycle?

Yah I'm trying to avoid all those stuff... especially having to bleach everything even the tank... ugh just the thought of it makes me shudder .....

Anyways the lights go on for about 6 or 7 hours a day. During the day it does get some sun light but not direct... it's away from the window

I'm just so tired of having to scrub this stuff off and it coming back every 2 days.... the weird thing is it seems like more show up when I leave it in the dark for like 2 days......

Maybe I should try a different antifungal medicine. I used furan 2 the first time

I have boatloads of live plants, so algaecides aren't an option for me. I do use glutaraldehyde, which is good for the plants and bad for the algae. Seachem's Flourish Excel is good.

Okay I'll look into it..... by the way what makes you think it's not fungal?

I thought it wasn't algae because algae is usually green, red, or black and not individualized like this

More like it won't thrive on clean glass. Fungus doesn't photosynthesize, so it needs to get nutrition externally. It will grow just fine on any organic matter, so if it were on plants, food, or detritus it would be perfectly likely. No live plants, growing on clean glass, sounds like algae.

More like it won't thrive on clean glass. Fungus doesn't photosynthesize, so it needs to get nutrition externally. It will grow just fine on any organic matter, so if it were on plants, food, or detritus it would be perfectly likely. No live plants, growing on clean glass, sounds like algae.

Okay makes sense. I will go ahead and find some anti algae stuff. I'll let you know if it works :)

So... the algae thing didn't work... I think it's a fungus cause I accidebtly used one of the main tank equipment in my small betta tank and my betta tank is now in fested with this stuff ..... my lfs suggested using coppersafe.... any suggestions against fungus on glass?

My big tank has this same type of stuff on the glass, and I also use the same equipment from my bettas tank.
My betta was infected with velvet a few weeks ago (he is cured now) due to some live plants so his water is currently being treated with coppersafe (since the treatment stays active for one month) and I noticed that his glass has no sign of this weird stuff.

My big tank has this same type of stuff on the glass, and I also use the same equipment from my bettas tank.
My betta was infected with velvet a few weeks ago (he is cured now) due to some live plants so his water is currently being treated with coppersafe (since the treatment stays active for one month) and I noticed that his glass has no sign of this weird stuff.
I just bought copper safe. I will try this.... Is this fungus linked with velvet? Or did he already have velvet before?

I just bought copper safe. I will try this.... Is this fungus linked with velvet? Or did he already have velvet before?

Im not sure if it is linked with velvet, but he had it a few weeks ago so I bought coppersafe and both velvet and these white things disappeared. The good thing is if your fish do have velvet, coppersafe will kill that too. Just be really careful when medicating because coppersafe can be deadly if overdosed.

My big tank only has these things in small amounts so I'm trying to decide if I want to dose that too

Back
Top Bottom