Weird Stuff Growing on Glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im not sure if it is linked with velvet, but he had it a few weeks ago so I bought coppersafe and both velvet and these white things disappeared. The good thing is if your fish do have velvet, coppersafe will kill that too. Just be really careful when medicating because coppersafe can be deadly if overdosed.

My big tank only has these things in small amounts so I'm trying to decide if I want to dose that too

Yah I know over dosing is deadly so I'm thinking since the dosage is by 4gallons. I'll just do it by 4 gallons and not to 5 gallons... (my betta has 5 gallons)

My main tank has a little bit too but it can totally get out of hand like crazy...

Did u scrape the white stuff off after or did it just go away once the medicine went on? Also how long did it take for the white things to go away? And is 1 dosage good enough for the whole month? Do I need to re add if I do a water change?

Yah I know over dosing is deadly so I'm thinking since the dosage is by 4gallons. I'll just do it by 4 gallons and not to 5 gallons... (my betta has 5 gallons)

My main tank has a little bit too but it can totally get out of hand like crazy...

Did u scrape the white stuff off after or did it just go away once the medicine went on? Also how long did it take for the white things to go away? And is 1 dosage good enough for the whole month? Do I need to re add if I do a water change?

Mine didnt have a lot on the glass and i usually clean the glass with a sponge when i do waterchanges anyways so i dont know if it will rid of it on its own.
It took my betta about a week to show signs of recovery, and i did a 50% waterchange every two days to make sure the parasite didnt get out of hand. When you do a waterchange you do need to redose, but make sure you only dose to the water youre adding.
(ex: my betta tank is 5g and a 50% wc would be 2.5g. So I would add enough coppersafe for 2.5g)

IMG_8504.jpg
IMG_8506.jpg

My betta has only been treating for about two weeks and his tank looks clear, so I would suggest cleaning the glass when you do waterchanges

I also provided a picture from my main tank for comparison. It was so flipping hard to get my phone to focus on that stuff i swear lol.
I might try medicating the tank and scraping one side, and leaving one side be to see if it goes away just with meds.

View attachment 297945
View attachment 297946

My betta has only been treating for about two weeks and his tank looks clear, so I would suggest cleaning the glass when you do waterchanges

I also provided a picture from my main tank for comparison. It was so flipping hard to get my phone to focus on that stuff i swear lol.
I might try medicating the tank and scraping one side, and leaving one side be to see if it goes away just with meds.

Looks pretty similar to what I have. They look like feathers right?

Right now I treated my betta tank with furan 2 cause I thought it was a fungus and the some of them looked like it died (As in the feathery head disappeared and only the body stayed on the glass) I'm gonna run my carbon tonight to get all the furan out and then I'll do the copper the next day. I will also wipe one side to see if they grow back or disappear on the other side.

Let me know on your progress ...

Poor betta but I'm testing all these medication to see which one works the best before I try the main tank lol

Okay so your just talking about the chemical i wasn't sure if a brand sold a fish safe version like how for coper sulfate there is copersafe

I will keep you updated.

My main tank has 3 fancy goldfish so far.
Edit: IMG_8509.jpg

This is what I'm using to treat:
Image1492134904.303684.jpg

Oh that's so nice haha.

That's the same brand of copersafe I have.

Sorry yah that last post was for the h202 guy haha..

Image1492139234.193310.jpg
I forgot to mention that I also dosed the tank with aquarium salt. I did not dose the main tank with salt. I don't know if this would have any affect on the things, but I figured it's worth mentioning if the copper doesnt fix your problem.

View attachment 297958
I forgot to mention that I also dosed the tank with aquarium salt. I did not dose the main tank with salt. I don't know if this would have any affect on the things, but I figured it's worth mentioning if the copper doesnt fix your problem.

I used aquarium salt too. It didn't do anyrhing. I think the copersafe will be the best... I mean something has to kill this thing lol....

Seriously bleaching is the last thing I wanna do

I used aquarium salt too. It didn't do anyrhing. I think the copersafe will be the best... I mean something has to kill this thing lol....

Seriously bleaching is the last thing I wanna do

I think treating with coppersafe and scraping the glass will work. I'm worried it will come back after the month treatment, I hope it doesn't but ill update the betta tank then.

I think treating with coppersafe and scraping the glass will work. I'm worried it will come back after the month treatment, I hope it doesn't but ill update the betta tank then.

U think I should do coopersafe then scrape then drain the tank then re add copersafe.

Or scrape tank, then coper safe

I think you should do a waterchange, scrape, and add coppersafe for the full tank volume for the first dose. (Add the coppersafe to new water and not directly to the tank)
For any additional waterchange during treatment, I would scrape where needed (or just scrape for peace of mind) and re-dose to the amount of water you removed.

I went through and read the thread.
1. No...I can not definitively say what on the glass.
2. I would not be concerned.
3. Rarely if ever does salt need to be in a fw tank
4. I would suggest you think hard before adding the copper.
5. My hypothesis is that what you see on glass was from the meds

I have the same problem. So when you figure it out please let me know. Every 3-4 days I'm cleaning the glass. Driving me crazy. Mine is kinda fuzzy looking. I will see it floating through the tank from time to time. Like you said, it doesn't seem to be harmful to the fish but I'm just tired of looking at it. I use Seachem Excel and it's not getting rid of it. I have no other algae in my tank. Please help us out.

I did some research and read that they could be a kind of bacterial colony, caused by overfeeding. How often do you feed your fish?

Consider a species that we refer to as hailing from calm waters or does not appreciate flow/current. Is a 200gph hob on a 10g really creating more current than what that species experiences in its natural environment? I dont think so...
These big gph numbers are inflated and deceiving.

I went through and read the thread.
1. No...I can not definitively say what on the glass.
2. I would not be concerned.
3. Rarely if ever does salt need to be in a fw tank
4. I would suggest you think hard before adding the copper.
5. My hypothesis is that what you see on glass was from the meds

So this stuff was on my tank before any meds.

I did the traditional stuff where I scraped it off the tank and dis a water change for a whole month.... it still came back..... also I even removed the fish and boiled the tank, gravel, and deco and recycled the tank. I guess some still survived..... these white stuff by the way are alive u can tell when u look at it that it's a fungus or a creature....

Could be a fungus..ive seen it in tanks. Have even had it myself. But cant tell you how why or what

Back
Top Bottom