Is this used MH retro fit a good setup/deal for a 125g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsxrguru2

Aquarium Advice Activist
Found an ad in the newspaper for a bunch of used and new equipment and the guy told me he has 2 retrofit canopies. The ballasts are included and can do 2 175w MH in addition to two florescent lights- one of the canopies is setup to use VHO lights. He said he has some bulbs, but they're pretty old, so I am sure I will be needing to replace those when I actually start to use them. He wants $150 for each canopy, my question is if this setup will work for my 125g that at this time is not setup (still building the stand) and if it is a good deal. He said the ballasts were not cheap and though he didn't mention a manufacturer he said they were professional grade (supposedly he ran a LFS at some point and is now parting with the leftover equip. and some of his own stuff.) By the way, I plan on doing a reef setup with fish when the tank finally gets setup. In the meantime I am trying to find good deals on equip. so that when it gets going I won't be running around trying to piece things together. Thanks for the help!!!

I would shop around. I bought 2 250w MH for $180 each with new bulbs, ballast, and reflector. The bulbs will range anywhere from $50-100 each. If you're going reef, I would go with MH so you won't be limited. HTH

Mike

Back
Top Bottom