live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the kind recommendations. Feel free to send me a PM or email if you have any questions.

captivereefs said:
www.liverocks.com

I was checking this site out, interesting. I have a large environmental question about these rocks. Are their plots that people can mine rocks from or is there a law against taking from the reefs? I would think they would be protected some way or other?

I have heard that some companies will drop rock into a desiganted area for aging and farming. Is this how most companies do it or do most companies just pull from the public reef?

These are aquicultured. If you go to their site I think you'll find some info about it. These are all rocks that they've "planted" and then they leave them grow and then harvest them. Great stuff. Another 100% satisfied LR.com customer. Great stuff. My next LR will come from them too!

Yes, it is illegal to harvest LR from a reef or just about anywhere else in Florida and most of the rest of the US coasts with reefs. I believe you are correct in how they get LR for the aquarium trade. Zach can confirm that part of it.

I agree with everyone else...liverocks.com is a great way to go. I ordered from them and Mike was a huge help and offered grreat customer service. Their rock is accu-cultured so natural reefs are not being damaged in the collection process. Just one more plus!

Back
Top Bottom