Low Maint. Saltwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
also the type of bioload. Corals take alot more work--you have to feed them, move them away from others, replace them according to currents and light needs, glue them back on the rocks when the jumbos knock them over etc etc.
Good point...but corals do not really add to your bioload. Maintaining good water parameters for corals is a priority. However, if no fish reside in the tank, it is certainly a lot easier. Most corals rely on good quality light for energy. Supplementing feedings is light at best. Some nutrients are taken from the water collum but most from the proper lighting. In the properly maintained tank, corals will need to be fragged in time, this does take time. A low maintenance SW tank is a bit of an oxy-moron, but with the right amount of biological filtration, good skimming, appropriate water movement and light bioload, the work can be kept to a minimum.

Well said Lando!

I have a 32g garbage can that I store my FW (RO/DI) in. I mix up 25 gallons of SW in a $7 tote from Walmart and pump it into the sump of my tank after taking 25g out. I mix my SW 24+ before use. I have tons of extra PHs and I use 2 to mix my SW. I mix on this large scale because I like to do PWCs every other week and I like having water ready in case of an emergency!

Wow. I'm starting to actually picture this as a possibility in my head. Thanks you guys. I like the idea of keeping a large container in my basement. I certainly have a large enough basement. We have a coat closet, but it's not nearly large enough to hold any meanful amount of water.
So let's get to specifics. Say I want to do FISH only. Not caring about what type of fish yet, let's talk filtration. Can I go with a HOB filter or do I need to go with overflow?

Pete

So let's get to specifics. Say I want to do FISH only. Not caring about what type of fish yet, let's talk filtration. Can I go with a HOB filter or do I need to go with overflow?
For any SW tank using LR is about the best filtration you can get. Ideally, you want 1.5-2lbs/gal of LR, a 2-3 inch LS bed, powerheads for movement, and agressive skimming. You can a HOB if you like, but I suggest using it only for mechanical and chemial media. You only need an overflow (internal or external) is you plan to use a sump or fuge under the tank. Sumps are a great way to increase total water volume, run extra filtration and hide unsightly equipment like skimmers and heaters.

I noticed you said you have a basement! One thing you need to watch out for is where you put your tank. A 125g tank is going to weigh a LOT! You need to be careful of how and where you put it if you are doing so on a subfloor. If you have a rec-room in your basement I would suggest putting it on the concret slab if you can. Just a little more of my $.02

-I would definitely reccommend a sump as it add to the beauty of your tank in a way. Trust me I have an ugly skimmer and HOB filter on the back and I really wish I had room and money for a sump. IMO lr is needed for the tank. It is great filtration and really make the SW tank.

-Hope I could Help!

Back
Top Bottom