My new 55 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike406

Aquarium Advice Regular
So hello, I am brand new to the hobby. I have a 55 gallon tank with a Tom aquarium pro rapids rp3 filter. I have a lighting system with 2 12,000 k white bulbs and 2 blue actinic bulbs as well as 6 led moon lights. 2 hydor 300 gph circulating pumps. I am definitely going to add bigger pumps or a wave making system. I have 80 pounds of Caribbean south seas base rock and a 4 inch live sand bed. I will be adding some live rock within the next week or so. My heater is a 300 watt setup. I plan on keeping beginner corals and different, not so common fish. As of now my tank is only 6 days old and going through the cycling process. I am in no rush to add live stock yet because all of the reading I have done says to be patient and don't rush the process. Please give me feed back on the aquascaping I have done and what your opinion is on my hardware so far. All the input will be greatly appreciated. Also what kind of live rock do u recommend ? I look forward to your feedback. Thanks

In my opinion, the filters are unnecessary. Live rock is your filter. And the more porus Rock, the better. Other than that sounds like your doing a good amount of reading and learning alot. We can help you with any questions you got :) oh and welcome :)

Thank you for the welcome. Can u help me with the proper way of turning my base rock into live purple and more colorful rock ? The filter is set up already and I figured in the beginning it can help me. It is kind of like a wet dry with 3 different chambers for bio balls, glass cylinders, and carbon. It also has a built in protein skimmer. Oh what did u think of the aquascaping Job I did ? Just wondering. Any feedback from u is greatly appreciated. Oh also what kind of schedule should I have for the lighting. Thank you very much. :)

The filter lose the bio balls. Fill it with rubble from one of the rocks. The base rock will turn purple over time and it doesn't always turn purple. Sometimes green yellow ect. Do you have an ammonia source for your cycle? If not just put pretty much anything that will rot inside your tank. Your cycle is done when that turns into ammonia then trites then trates. When it's done. You will have 0 ammonia and trites and probably high trates. Post a pic of your aqua scape. Pics always get more people to comment. :)

Oh and as for lighting, 8-12 hours is best. Depends on how much you wanna deal with algea. :p and im always on here so if you have any questions I can help you. I'll either know the answer or can find out the answer quickly :)

Yes the skimmer is built in to it. It's called a Tom aquarium products ,,, rapids pro filter rp3 plus. On the box it came in its called a wet dry.

Back
Top Bottom