new 55 gallon Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

what do you think about my stocking idea?

• Great idea

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • more fish

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • less fish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • compatability

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Read your posts for better ideas

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fishking

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm just starting a 55 gallon salt setup, my first. I have kept freshwater tanks... I have the tank, the lights, the filter, skimmer, and refugium. I am still deciding how to stock it... Right now I was thinking about some clowns, a blenny, and some gobies...anemones, pistol shrimp, serpent star, and some cheap, hardy corals. What do you think? Any help is appreciated. Do you have a SW setup? What's in it? how big is it? Thanks again!!

P.S. If you have live rock/sand for sale in CO, i'm interested...Thanks!!

new 55 Salt tank plz help

I'm just starting a 55 gallon salt setup, my first. I have kept freshwater tanks... I have the tank, the lights, the filter, skimmer, and refugium. I am still deciding how to stock it... Right now I was thinking about some clowns, a blenny, and some gobies...anemones, pistol shrimp, serpent star, and some cheap, hardy corals. What do you think? Any help is appreciated. Do you have a SW setup? What's in it? how big is it? Thanks again!!

P.S. If you have live rock/sand for sale in CO, i'm interested...Thanks!!

Can you give us a little more information about the equipment you have. What kind of lighting is it? Skimmer?

Is the tank up and running now or are you getting ready to set everything up?

Anemones and corals are going to require a more mature system. I would hold off on those for several months. New systems have swings in pH and other parameters that anemones and corals wont like.

How much LR do you have now? For good filtration you will want 1.5-2lbs per gallon, so that means 83-110lbs of rock total. You don't have to buy all live rock you can get base rock (much cheaper) and seed it with a few pieces of LR.

If you have things set up post some pics so we can see what you have going. We do love to look at pics here!!!

more info

not yet running, older skimmer bought from friend. comp. flourescents. I was planning on waiting to add the corals and anemones. i currently have no LR, but am going to buy 10 lbs then get some base rock and wait. do you know what types of rock make good base rock?

Check out Marcorocks.com for your base rock.

The lighting will probably need to be upgraded before trying to keep anemones or corals. PC lighting just doesn't have the intensity that you will need to keep either.

T5HO is a good option for you on a 55g.

i did reply great idea because it is a great idea, not overstocked and well thought out. i currently have a 65 gallon tank and it has been running for 3 years and everything has been going fine. the clowns are a good idea, i have a mated pair of black clowns they are my favorite fish in my tank. a blenny will be nice and thoughts on what kind also with the gobies? ive had multiple anemones i would suggest staying away from carpets, they tend to eat anything that will get near them, try a bubble tip anemone.

Sounds like a pretty good stocking plan. To see my SW set up click on the "view my tank" link in my sig. You can also view my images.

great set up plan. im excited to see how it turns out.. be careful of those clowns there jumpy little fellas theyll jump right outta your tank! i have a 14 gallon bio cube with a damsel and some corals (look at signature). i think you should definetly get a cleaner shrimp of some kind either a fire shrimp or a cleaner chrimp they look very cool and will even walk into your hand!

Back
Top Bottom