New 60 gallon Newbie here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Igmu89

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:fish2:K so I got a 60 gallon tank for my birthday and I've only ever had brackish and fresh water tanks. I even had a pet store I managed with Freshies only.

I want a reef tank. I have a little extra money now, and a little extra time and I'm ready. Thing is I know NOTHING about them. Well okay I've been reading up on them and I'm overwhelmed to say the least. Holy S**T there is a lot to figure out.

It's about like surveying 100 people about their favorite car. :facepalm:

What I want.

1) Something fairly economical ( I don't want to drop $1000 in a night)

2) Something fun - I like a challenge, and am not against experimenting.

3) difficulty is not a big deal. I'm handy and pretty sharp, but speak S L O W L Y at first. I'm a landlocked mountain girl - I don't know what the h**l a bulkhead is. :confused:

What I was shown at my local retailer was a Deep Sand Sump Refugium. I love this idea. A boring ol filter is just that - and I love the little critters that can grow and thrive in it. I also am a bit of a hippie and love the fact that it's a "natural" way to filter the tank.

I found a refugium "kit" on Ebay. Seems legit, and economical.

I have a 60 Gallon tank, and bought a 20 gallon for the Refugium. Doesn't fit under the other one in the cabinet but I'll figure it out.

I found a "reef octopus" protein skimmer that had good reviews, and will probably purchase it.

I've got a Hydrometer on the list, thermometer, and a nitrate test kit, as well.

I know I need special lights, and am on my way to figuring out "which ones"

My questions are this: I can't find reference as to how to "Actually" hook the refugium up to the top tank. I find links on how to make one, but not how to build the actual hookups to the top.

Also what about GPH exchange rate for a reef tank? Also, the pump to pump the water back UP. (does the protein skimmer pump it OUT of the tank?) How big of a Pump?

And the inlet isn't just a big hose- it would suck all the little critters into it. what about the outlet? How do I hook it to the tank?

Flex hose or PVC?

Does it hook to the top - or all the way at the bottom of the tank by the sand (in the main tank)

What else do I need?

I know I need "reef" living rocks and sand, but some sites say that's redundant to the refugium. But I want corals and Anemones - the whole shebang.

Also, the Refugium "kit" says it doesn't come with "bags" wtf are they for and where do I put them? (where do I buy them)

What about the sponge I saw in the overflow part of the refugium (just before it's pumped back into the tank) at the pet store. Best type?

(the kids in there didn't have a whole lot of good solid advice. they were barely able to explain how it works. :nono:

What do I do now. LOL....What's my material list for home depot?

I'm not worried about fish - I'll figure out that later - besides right now

I can't decide between having only GRRRRS! in there (I love love Lions and Triggers):fish1:

Or Dory and Marlins (for the kids)

I'm guessing I can't have both. (y)

I saw a list of "must haves" starfish, mangroves,shrimp, etc...for the beginnings of the refugium...is this optimal or should I set the tank up with ONLY live rocks at first - adding the little critters later, then the fish?

Current list of supplies I have:

20 gallon tank
60 gallon tank
Heater that was in a 55 Gal tank previously. It's adjustable.
fish net

LOL:banghead:
thanks in advance.
:thanks:

HAHA!

53 views and not one reply. Guess I scared you all off! :eek: Thanks Anyway:facepalm:

:fish2:K so I got a 60 gallon tank for my birthday and I've only ever had brackish and fresh water tanks. I even had a pet store I managed with Freshies only.

I want a reef tank. I have a little extra money now, and a little extra time and I'm ready. Thing is I know NOTHING about them. Well okay I've been reading up on them and I'm overwhelmed to say the least. Holy S**T there is a lot to figure out.

It's about like surveying 100 people about their favorite car. :facepalm:

What I want.

1) Something fairly economical ( I don't want to drop $1000 in a night)

2) Something fun - I like a challenge, and am not against experimenting.

3) difficulty is not a big deal. I'm handy and pretty sharp, but speak S L O W L Y at first. I'm a landlocked mountain girl - I don't know what the h**l a bulkhead is. :confused:

What I was shown at my local retailer was a Deep Sand Sump Refugium. I love this idea. A boring ol filter is just that - and I love the little critters that can grow and thrive in it. I also am a bit of a hippie and love the fact that it's a "natural" way to filter the tank.

I found a refugium "kit" on Ebay. Seems legit, and economical.

I have a 60 Gallon tank, and bought a 20 gallon for the Refugium. Doesn't fit under the other one in the cabinet but I'll figure it out.

I found a "reef octopus" protein skimmer that had good reviews, and will probably purchase it.

I've got a Hydrometer on the list, thermometer, and a nitrate test kit, as well.

I know I need special lights, and am on my way to figuring out "which ones"

My questions are this: I can't find reference as to how to "Actually" hook the refugium up to the top tank. I find links on how to make one, but not how to build the actual hookups to the top.

Also what about GPH exchange rate for a reef tank? Also, the pump to pump the water back UP. (does the protein skimmer pump it OUT of the tank?) How big of a Pump?

And the inlet isn't just a big hose- it would suck all the little critters into it. what about the outlet? How do I hook it to the tank?

Flex hose or PVC?

Does it hook to the top - or all the way at the bottom of the tank by the sand (in the main tank)

What else do I need?

I know I need "reef" living rocks and sand, but some sites say that's redundant to the refugium. But I want corals and Anemones - the whole shebang.

Also, the Refugium "kit" says it doesn't come with "bags" wtf are they for and where do I put them? (where do I buy them)

What about the sponge I saw in the overflow part of the refugium (just before it's pumped back into the tank) at the pet store. Best type?

(the kids in there didn't have a whole lot of good solid advice. they were barely able to explain how it works. :nono:

What do I do now. LOL....What's my material list for home depot?

I'm not worried about fish - I'll figure out that later - besides right now

I can't decide between having only GRRRRS! in there (I love love Lions and Triggers):fish1:

Or Dory and Marlins (for the kids)

I'm guessing I can't have both. (y)

I saw a list of "must haves" starfish, mangroves,shrimp, etc...for the beginnings of the refugium...is this optimal or should I set the tank up with ONLY live rocks at first - adding the little critters later, then the fish?

Current list of supplies I have:

20 gallon tank
60 gallon tank
Heater that was in a 55 Gal tank previously. It's adjustable.
fish net

LOL:banghead:
thanks in advance.
:thanks:

This took me while to get through. haha. First off, I know nothing about sumps, so can't help you there at all. What I do know is that if you have the 20g, just buy sheets of glass or acrylic (whichever the 20g is made of) and have it cut into 4 pieces and silicone or acrylic weld them I place. No need to buy a separate refugium. Google DIY refugiums and you'll find lots of pic to show you how to do it.

If you want corals and anemones, check put taotronics lights. I've read good things about them and being strong enough to support corals and anemones. For corals and anemones, you'll need rock to place them on.

A 60g isn't nearly big enough for a Dory (hippo tang). They need like 180g tanks. :( They're beautiful fish, though. A good reference for types of fish and tank size requirement is liveaquaria.com.

For supplies for the tank, you'll need :
Sand or crushed coral (I prefer sand, traps less detritus) how much depends on how deep you want it. Research deep sand bed vs regular sand bed.
Liquid test kits for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, pH and alkalinity.
After you get corals, you'll also need MAgnesium, calcium tests
Some powerheads for ciculation
Salt
Access to RO or RODI water
I suggest a mag float to clean the glass

Sorry, can't help with the Home Depot list for the sump supplies.

100% silicone
Acrylic sheets for baffles or glass depending on the sump you want.
And the PVC pipes, couplings, PVC elbows or connections all depend on how your going to place your sump and how your return is going to be situated. You might want to figure out if you want to do PVC for piping or tubing! If your pretty handy or know someone that is with plumbing than I'd go with PVC if not just use tubing. It's all really on how you want it. At least that's from my experience. I'm pretty sure someone with more experience in the sump area can chime in on it. But if totally look into DIY sumps as ingy suggested! Go on YouTube! Totally helpful when getting started. Just get ideas and post them on here and I'm more than positive you can get awesome advice from someone knowledgable!

Back
Top Bottom