New bio cube 6gal for my sons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blur1221

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 30 gal nano In my office I have had for a few years and going strong. I built it super slow and never over populated.

My sons have been asking me for a tank in their room and I'm caving in. Tho as I know how crazy $$$ this hobby can be I'm looking at doing a very simple under stocked 6gal bio cube to let them get their feet wet and not break the bank.

I'm thinking stock bio cube 6 gal
Live rock and sand
1 small clown or goby
1 peppermint shrimp
4 Astraea snails
one mushroom frag
One zooanthid frag

So the question is, is it still too much? I'm taking the frags and snails from my other tank so I'm only buying a clown and shrimp and the tank really. I think it will be enough to make it interesting but not crazy as its a super small tank. Thoughts?

Ya you can hermits an snails as long as you feed them, but a clown cant live in a 6 gallon, im sorry. That would be a terribly small tank for a clown fish and i doubt it would live a good life. You can have a shrimp and a small goby like a clown goby, but not a clown fish

Sure I'll do the goby, you think the goby shrimp and 3-4 snails works?

Small gobys are really hard to keep alive. Just saying they are really picky eaters.

Clown gobies aren't hard. I've never heard a problem with them. You just have to make sure they get the appropriate sized food.

Clown Gobies are very prone to being sensitive and shy eaters. It all depends on your LFS, how well they've been handled and what they've been through before you get them.

That being said, if they are in a tank by themselves and you are diligent the first week or two on making sure they are eating well, they quickly become hearty eaters and very unique little fish.

I think the best thing for smaller tanks like this is to just go zoo crazy. You can get an insane amount of color and diversity for very little money, and it will really show the diversity of ocean life to your kids. You might even find you really enjoy having a small zoo "zen garden"

If you were looking for additional fish/inverts to add, sexy shrimp are great nano inhabitants, and are always very fun to watch.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom