new tank-need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savy420

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i went and got sand from the beach and am ready to put this together but am not exactly sure what all i am going to need--this is the first time i have ever done a saltwater setup. i have a 30 gallon tank and a fluval 404 filter--just wondering if anyone can tell me exactly what i am going to need to do this right.i only want to have two fish in there--i want to get a trigger fish and a lion fish if they get along together---thanks for all your advice!!

My recommendation would be to do some research on this site and other various sites before you jump into the hobby, a 30 gallon is quite small for both a trigger fish and a lionfish. Before you jump into this great hobby and waste a lot of time and money on a tank that could be unsuccesful, spend a week, two or more researching these free websites and gain the knowledge needed before hand.

8O

Cunch

new tank

I totally agree with what Cunch said, this is not a hobby you can just jump into and expect everything to run smoothly. It has a lot of factors that affect both how your fish live and how your tank runs.
Do what i did, and that was to spend at least two weeks reading all the questions that people posed on this forum and the replies of the experts.
I still log on and read everthing everynight and have been now doing it for 6 months.
regards kell

Where you planning on decorating the tank any to provide hiding places? Both of these fish will find it more comforting to have places they can get out of the open water. The lion fish is a fairly heavy bioload fish and the 30 gal tank is going to be at the very limits of acceptable tank size. Is the 30 gal a 30L or a tall tank?

I would suggest adding some live rock to the tank. Not only for decoration but also for filtration capacity. Your aware lion fish have a fairly potent sting? Are you alergic to bee stings? If so then you need to really assess the lionfish.

Sorry, to dig this out of the archives but I've been thinking of a tank in the ~30G area for just a lionfish & maybe some LR and came across this thread. The tank I'm looking at is a tall tank and I wanted to know hitch a ride on fishfreek's tank inquiry. Would a tall 30G be a bad idea for a dwarf lion?

Would a tall 30G be a bad idea for a dwarf lion?
There will be less swimming room for the fish w/ a tall tank. I think a fairly large fish, ie. a lionfish, would not be the best choice for such a tank.

Back
Top Bottom