Newbie to aquariums - questions on stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karenm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Getting ready to purchase a 75 gal saltwater tank (will be my first fish tank). The tank will house coral, sea anemones, crustaceans, sea stars and compatible (I hope) fish. Would like some blennies and clown fish, but otherwise am open on the fish species. The tank will mostly likely have live rock up the sides (one side lower than the other) with a sandy bottom in the middle.

Questions:

1. When I've looked up info on sea anemones, there is usually a caution that says it stings and may harm neighboring sessile animals. Are there certain corals or other animals I should avoid if I plan to have anemones? Or are there certain anemones I should stay away from?

2. I would like to get some blennies and eels. How thick should my sand substrate be? Should I avoid an undergravel filter? Are there any eels that won't eat the crustaceans and smaller fish?

3. I really love schooling fish in their natural environment, any suggestions on any small schooling fish I could get that will get along with the reef and crustaceans? I don't want the schooling fish to be the only species in the tank.

4. Is 75 gals too small for a Tang or two?

karenm said:
Getting ready to purchase a 75 gal saltwater tank (will be my first fish tank). The tank will house coral, sea anemones, crustaceans, sea stars and compatible (I hope) fish. Would like some blennies and clown fish, but otherwise am open on the fish species. The tank will mostly likely have live rock up the sides (one side lower than the other) with a sandy bottom in the middle.

Questions:

1. When I've looked up info on sea anemones, there is usually a caution that says it stings and may harm neighboring sessile animals. Are there certain corals or other animals I should avoid if I plan to have anemones? Or are there certain anemones I should stay away from?

2. I would like to get some blennies and eels. How thick should my sand substrate be? Should I avoid an undergravel filter? Are there any eels that won't eat the crustaceans and smaller fish?

3. I really love schooling fish in their natural environment, any suggestions on any small schooling fish I could get that will get along with the reef and crustaceans? I don't want the schooling fish to be the only species in the tank.

1 one all corals are vulnerable to the stings of an anenome .... They also will walk to find a perfect spot , can get caught up in power heads and become minced thus nukeing your tank.... They also require high lights like MH , and an established system of more than 6 months .

2 no experience with the blennies.
Eels any thing they can fit into their mouths are fair game and could turn out to be an expensive snack... they also require som type of tight fitting top to prevent escape.

3anthias are schooling as are the chromis's and chromis are fairly hardy and easy to care for .

4 tangs are open swimmers you could probably fit one in a 75 but really no more than that ... Look for a smaller tang. Hopefully some one will chime in on the smaller tangs . I believe kole tangs are smaller

karenm said:

Questions:

Congrats on the tank and enthusiasm in the hobby. Do your part and educate yourself through books, online articles, and docs :) Almost all of what you want is possible, if planned correctly.

1. Anemones are double-edged swords. Heteractis crispa, Macrodactyla doreensis, or Entacmaea Quadricolor would be your best bet. They have the potential to travel up rockwork and situate themselves to the best conditions they deem necessary along with stinging neighboring corals. They are quite beautiful, but require quite a bit of care. I wouldn't recommend them for beginners. Future possibilities for you ;)

2. If you plan on eels, don't plan on an anemone. Many eels get stung and succumb to infection/death from accidental interaction. Eels that can be recommended are Echidna nebulosa, Gymnomuraena zebra, Echidna catenata (atlantic), or G. melatremus (dwarf). Most eels will take down any small fish and/or crustaceans. The only choice you would have with blennies is G. melatremus, which is a dwarf, but pricey. There is always a debate on sandbed depth (research this), but I go with whatever looks aesthetically pleasing to me. Usually this entails at least 3-4". No need for UGF. They can be used, but with filtration systems available today why bother? I recommend a sump and skimmer.

3. Schooling is a defensive behavior to confuse predators. Most fish will not school much in an aquarium where predator or aggressive fish aren't present. The usuals to go with are chromis, bar gobies, etc.

4. A tang or two would be fine depending on the sp.

As I said before, research ahead of time. You can always come up with a huge selection of fish/inverts and I'd be happy to help "dumb" them down to a reasonable list :) Here's a good site for you, in case you haven't seen it: wetwebmedia.com

As far as the anenome what kind of lighting do you have. You will need high lighting for them. and anenomes will move around the tank and sting other corals. Multiple anenomes will not be recommended in a 75 gallon tank IMO.
I also recommend you avoid the undergravel filter system as they are nitrate factories. They will cause debris and food to get stuck in substrate. Sand depth is up to you. Some people have DSB`s and some dont. Mine is about 2 inches deep. I cant help on the eels as I have never had one.
Green chromis are an excellent schooling fish and dont need to be in a species only tank. And I almost forgot, Welcome to AA

WELCOME TO AA!!

Please do not cycle with live animals.
1. They do better in a mature tank, of about 6-12 months.
2. Not sure on the eels. Don't worry about the UGF.
Looks like the other advice is very sound.

Lighting

Regarding the lighting issue, will trust the proprietor of the shop I plan on purchasing my set up from to guide me on this. All I know right now is that the lighting is going to cost me a small fortune . . . :) Most of what I've read says that this is not the place to cut costs if you want coral . . . which I do. Any advice on this is greatly appreciated though. I'm not trying to grow any specific type of coral, so lighting to suit the needs of the broadest range would be best for me. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

if you eventually, but def. want an anemone, might as well go with x2 175w halides. you will be able to keep majority of corals.

I got my 72inch lighting from drsfosterandsmith.com. Shipping was only $15.99, plus I also ordered 270Lbs of sand in the same shipment.....I agree, my LFS charges almost double on equipment, over online. I'll buy emergency stuff from them and fish, but all my salt, test kits, I buy from the drs website.

Back
Top Bottom