pH is low

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoothie7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a relatively new saltwater tank. Its been set up since April 30th. My readings today were as follows:
Measure pH 8.2 Measure Salinity 1.024 Measure pH 8 Measure Ammonia 0.25 Measure Nitrite 0 Measure Nitrate 0

Everything seems to be within reason except my pH which I believe is a little low. Any thoughts on what I should do to raise it or if I should just let it go and test again in a day or two.

Don't worry to much about ph unless your having extreme swings. As long as everything's happy let it be where it's at, ph buffers can cause other issues. Often times the KISS principal is best, and ph is a prime example IMO

8.2 is fine, above is from another thread but I felt it applied.

Chasing pH values is never a good idea. I probably shouldn't admit this but I've tested pH like twice ever for my tank. As long as everything is healthy and happy I don't bother

Chasing pH values is never a good idea. I probably shouldn't admit this but I've tested pH like twice ever for my tank. As long as everything is healthy and happy I don't bother

I'm the same way, never even tested it once in the 10

I just feel using a quality salt mix it is always proper levels and I trust my corals to let me know when something's up

After like 20 days to have no nitrites or nitrates but still have ammonia! Seems a little odd to me

What test kit are you using and what's your ammonia level?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am using the API Saltwater Test Kit. I have not done a water change yet and it has been set up since April 30th. This test was performed around 10:30am on Saturday morning

I just looked again at the original post. It looks like the pH was recorded twice on that list. The previous test was 8.2. Saturday's test was 8.0.
I was told that if you take the test before the lights come on for the day or right after (which was the case for 8.0) that it generally would be a little lower.
Everything seems healthy though :) The salt I am using is Crystal Sea Marine Mix

Back
Top Bottom