Quarantine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drice

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,

I have an established 55 gallon FOWLR setup. The current tank inhabitants include a 2.5" black spotted grouper, zebra moray, along with a few hermit crabs and snails. I want to set up a QT because I recently had an ich outbreak and would like to go fishless in the tank for a few weeks to make sure I rid it of ich, thus the QT. I will also quarantine new fish from now on.

Two questions:

1. Initially I will use the QT to house the grouper (who will probably go back to the LFS soon) but does the eel need to be isolated as well? (can the eel be infected with ich?) My guess is yes, just to be safe.

2. Could I use a carbon filter pad from my canister or hang-on mechanical to instantly "cycle" the QT?

I've been reading up on QT's, just thought I'd pick your brains.

Thanks!

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but i think you should reconsider that zebra moray eel as well. That thing gets to be 5 feet long. Not really a great choice for a 55G tank. As for the ich/eel thing, the eels are fairly resistant, but they CAN be infected by the cryptocaryon parasite, so yes, you need to get him out of there ASAP, and he needs to be treated. As far as the treatment, I can't help you with that because i have no experience in that department. You should open up a thread in this sub-forum Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community and state the fact that your eel most likely has ich. I'm not sure if copper treatments are safe for eels, so make sure you ask first before you decide to do anything. My guess is everyone is going to tell you to utilize the hyposalinity method of eradicating the ich parasite.

Another thing.. how big is your eel currently? The current size is going to determine how large of a QT tank you will need.

As for the QT, i don't believe your carbon pad will do much. Do you have any bio-balls or ceramic media filter in that canister? You need to use media other then that carbon.

Do you even have a protein skimmer on your 55G? Those are two pretty messy fish with huge bioloads.

And again, not to be mean, but we could have guessed this would have happened. You have two fish, that need tanks larger then 100 gallons, and that have huge bioloads, and are probably stressing eachother out. 2.5 inches isn't very big, and i'm sure that eel is always looking for it's next meal.

Regardless, it would be a ton more helpful for us if you gave us LOTS more details about your system. What equipment you have running on it, ALL of the inhabitants, and how long you've had this system running. And basically anything else you can think of that you may find important.

Last edited:
The eel is about 6" and I had planned on a hyposalinity treatment in the QT once I figured out the best way to set it up. Honestly, I will most likely return the grouper and eel once they are ich free and get a flame angel, some chromis', and some other smaller fish. My problem was that I listened to my LFS, which claimed these larger predators would be fine in my tank. Anyway, I'm looking to start fresh and thought I'd set-up a QT to avoid future headaches. Like they say, the past is past and the future is now.

My set up is 55 lbs. of LR, standard 55 gallon hang-on filter, and EHEIM canister with ceramic media. I also have two 8 inch air stones. I have 5 hermit crabs (varying from 1/8" to 3") 4 turban snails, 2 cerith snails, and 1 turbo snail. Would a protein skimmer and/or sump be more appropriate once more fish are added?

I appreciate the critiques, just looking to establish a healthy aquatic community.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom