Setting up a sump, need advice and suggestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It may be, but it's still below the "divider" baffle thing that separates the two compartments. The water level in the siphon side is the same as it was designed to be, and the tube is still submerged. I just put in a longer pipe because the original piece seemed loose in the bulkhead. (probably a reason for that.. not quite sure..)

I suspect the flow over the divider is causing a whirl pool effect causing the "u" tube to lose it's siphon. If the stand pipe is taller this won't happen.

I suspect the flow over the divider is causing a whirl pool effect causing the "u" tube to lose it's siphon. If the stand pipe is taller this won't happen.

Maybe, I don't know. Haha mine's never failed and I hope it stays that way!

I have a question does the transfer tube have the same drop on both ends? If they are the same length I would put a extend the stand pipe a little to raise the water level. Also nothing looks broken in yet give it a chance to get some slime on it and see what happens.

thanks for all the discussion in here, and actually the Utube is broken, so little bubbles got trapped in and that's why the overflow stopped, I need to replace another tube.
I will go get a long stand pipe.

thank you so much!!
I m happy with eshopps too partypa, just that I got a broken Utube, sigh~

to ezy,
so I should level the end of the hose higher?
to partypa,
what do u mean by prime it? so i can't just drill a hole on the Utube?

another question, once the power is off (return pump), it will suck water back to the sump, so should I drill a hole on the PVC(the last section which is in the water) ?

just found out another problem, where the water come out from the overflow hose, there r tons of marco bubbles, I already have a baffles, so no bubbles r going to my return pump and DT, but those bubbles popped and make my floor wet, is there anything I can do to prevent those bubbles?

I have a question does the transfer tube have the same drop on both ends? If they are the same length I would put a extend the stand pipe a little to raise the water level. Also nothing looks broken in yet give it a chance to get some slime on it and see what happens.

My siphon tube has equal length on both sides, they both stay submerged with maybe a 1/4" of water (plenty to keep a siphon IMO) You could raise the pipe and make it have like maybe 1/2" of water, but the box was designed to keep a siphon so as long as it's set up right, it will work fine.

thanks for all the discussion in here, and actually the Utube is broken, so little bubbles got trapped in and that's why the overflow stopped, I need to replace another tube.
I will go get a long stand pipe.

to partypa,
what do u mean by prime it? so i can't just drill a hole on the Utube?

another question, once the power is off (return pump), it will suck water back to the sump, so should I drill a hole on the PVC(the last section which is in the water) ?

Broken U tube? That seems a tad bad! xD i wouldn't recommend drilling the tube because once you do that it may not seal correctly, letting in air, and breaking the siphon. its easier to just prime it with airline and leave it.

Yes, drill a small hole just below (or just above) the water line. The hole lets in air and it breaks the siphon (in this case a good thing)

To prime the U tube,

get airline and a PH venturi or just use your mouth (Aqua Lifter is best IMO)

stick airline into U tube up to middle (the "top" of the tube) and place it in the box. make sure the line is still in the middle. fill both boxes with water (skimmer and outter box) and suck on the airline and remove as much air as you can, dont worry if theres a little bubble in there, itll get pushed out when you turn on the pump.

what do u mean by get some slime? OoO

what do u mean by get some slime? OoO

Slime as in algae and other stuff, the water that goes through the tube is "dirty", plus it skims junk off the surface making it stick to the tube.

Basically, stuff builds up on it.

Slime as in algae and other stuff, the water that goes through the tube is "dirty", plus it skims junk off the surface making it stick to the tube.

Basically, stuff builds up on it.

is that good or bad OoO?

I use a foam board to block those little bubbles popping, but I still wanna know if there is a better way?
is the hose high enough for good flow now?

img_1023647_0_cbfd6b06b6681531ecc76feb6c238ebb.jpg

is that good or bad OoO?

I use a foam board to block those little bubbles popping, but I still wanna know if there is a better way?

img_1023654_0_cbfd6b06b6681531ecc76feb6c238ebb.jpg

The slime isnt a terribly bad thing, I doubt a U tube has ever plugged up entirely because of slime, but still, it's good to occasionally clean it out.

I used the prefilter sponge from the overflow to cut down on the bubbles.

I'll do it tomorrow, I got to sleep at some point tonight lol.

I'm going to post new pics of how everything is set up now on my build thread.

alrite!!! will check it out later
thansk man ^^

also when the water going from the prefilter to the hose...it so noisy...what can i do with it
and partypa, did u stop the overflow and return pump when u do PWC?

alrite , some new stuff added to the sump.
some new mangrove,Nassarius,Nerite Snails, and Chaeto.
will the light came with a 10gal good for sump or I need some stronger light?
img_1026601_0_f385eeaffe036b7736db2ee1a7b0828e.jpg
img_1026601_1_d6a5a77d8d7f9d97057d462c058bc1c1.jpg
img_1026601_2_ef62d81a8b0e1079c8fad9301c9ef86a.jpg

alrite!!! will check it out later
thansk man ^^

also when the water going from the prefilter to the hose...it so noisy...what can i do with it
and partypa, did u stop the overflow and return pump when u do PWC?

Well, you can stick a peice of air line down the drain line, in my case that quieted down the noise quite a bit. I'll put pics of that too.

Back
Top Bottom