Setting up quarantine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piperky1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm currently cycling a 29 gallon tank with 45 lbs of live rock and 20 lbs live sand. I want to quarantine the new fish that will go in it. I plan on setting up a 10 gallon QT. Does it need the 4-6 week cycle? Could I use some water from a water change from my 29 gallon and some new water and a piece of my cycled live rock in the QT instead of a complete cycle?

I would cycle it. You could use some floss from your tank or a friends to seed it then you need an ammonia source to feed the bacteria. you could use pure ammonia or a piece of shrimp.

I'm currently cycling a 29 gallon tank with 45 lbs of live rock and 20 lbs live sand. I want to quarantine the new fish that will go in it. I plan on setting up a 10 gallon QT. Does it need the 4-6 week cycle? Could I use some water from a water change from my 29 gallon and some new water and a piece of my cycled live rock in the QT instead of a complete cycle?

I cycled my QT tank, and ended up not using it at all. I took a risk and put in the fish directly. I always checked if they were healthy and eating, and how long the LFS had them. You can cycle your QT or get filter media or something from your tank when it's cycled or someone else's and just do more frequent water changes.

Back
Top Bottom