SPS Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sure. I don't have any pics of the bulbs themselves, but I have two FTS.

2x ABS, 1 Blue plus, 1 Purple Plus-

img_1767394_0_e4c5ef32b7c3874db94eb9b63773df0a.jpg

1x ABS, Blue Plus, Purple Plus, Coral Plus-

img_1767394_1_a7cde55fad45d777a9c18e96ed88ffc0.jpg
but what if you used 2 blue plus and 2 coral plus?

I was thinking of adding two of these in place of my aquablue specials. i happen to like a blue tank, but I dont want it like obnoxious blue

to blue looks a little off yeah like when people go 5 blue plus and a actinic or daylight. corals jus don't get the growth with no red or green

not really, a blue plus targets a bit of purple and green but not much green and red

Spektrum-BluePlus-600.jpg

here is the purple plus to compare it is more of a full spectrum then the blue

Spektrum-PurplePlus-600.jpg

Last edited:
Spektrum-AquablueSpecial-600.jpg

Spektrum-CoralPlus-600.jpg

Spektrum-Actinic-350-750-600.jpg

al spectrums are differn't the coral light and the purple plus are more similar besides a slight differnce in green and orange

All you have to do to feed symbiotic zooxanthellae is hit between 300 and 700nm. The rest is just for the naked eye.

Aquarium Lighting; Reef, Planted Light Information. PAR, Bulb, Watt, Kelvin, Nanometers, MH, LED.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]it is noteworthy that Fluorescent and even more so incandescent lights produce a lot of yellow and green nanometer light, which research indicates is mostly wasted energy in terms of the needs or freshwater plants and SPS Corals. This is where an LED Aquarium Light, Metal Halide, or even (to a lesser degree) T2 Lights excels as there is much less wasted yellow/green light.
[/FONT]

still the light output that the ATIs put out are not huge in those areas but they are missing the red spectrum which is a spetrum that does need to be fed to stimulate the growth

PUR is that fraction of PAR that is absorbed by zooxanthellae photopigments thereby stimulating photosynthesis. As noted above, PUR are those wavelengths falling between 400-550nm and 620-740nm.

Generally a Spectrograph is used to rate PUR (these are much more expensive than a PAR meter, with the result of many falsely considering PAR and ignoring the more important PUR.)

It is noteworthy that whereas higher plants (generally kept in planted freshwater aquariums) require more of the infrared aspect of the PAR Spectrum while the zooxanthellae found inside many sensitive corals require more of the Blue spike 400 -550 (465-485 in particular according to more recent research). For this reason either/both higher Kelvin Daylight and actinic/blue is required for many reef aquariums.

same link

zooxanthellae issstill a plant organism which is still stimulated by red spectrum correct, more blue might be required to stimulate it but i do believe that ts stimulation depends on a full range of light which includes reds.

it has also been said that SPS grow better when there is a red spectum present

ANYWAY, I ordered a fiji purple, blue +, blue special, and a coral plus for my T5, a jbj nano led for my future fuge (50 bucks is a great deal when all other lights that weren't led ran 40-45), and a 750 PH to put me over into free shipping land. Really excited now!

i've always read that low kelvin lamps with stimulate zooxanthili growth much better then high kelvin lamps increasign coral growth, but high kelvin lamps suck as the blue plus will pound out alto more UV light and a corals ability to fend of the UV rays like a humans skin is to use it pigment to block it out, which is why we get darker and our color tends to pop, and a reason people that live closer to the equator and in tropic countries tend to be darker then those that live further away and in the ways of corals they tend to bring out more of their natural color and pop more. which is why the addition of a 6500k lamp is used in some of the larger fixtures or the specialty bulbs like the fiji purple and purple plus

Back
Top Bottom