Sump build...completely overwhelmed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At 300 GPH overflow you need to have a gate/ball valve to control your pump.
Most run sumps with an overflow that will handle more then needed...
This is to have better control over the flow.The overflow will never move more water then pump feeds it.The pump controls/dictates the amount of water that will be offered to the tank.
I would be careful with a sponge in the overflow box also , as it clogs the water level in your tank will rise and sump will lower....
If you were to use an ATO{Auto Top Off} then it could easily cause your tank to flood.
As fresh said drilling a hole on the return is suggested along with keeping it or one of them at the surface level so it can not syphon..Metal springs in check valves for marine are a no I believe and may cause more head pressure then your pump can handle?

If you feel like drilling your J tube ,you can install a Toms Aqua Lifter pump to make sure you never lose syphon upon power failures ..I would never run an HOB overflow without one personally ,but unlike Fresh I have flooded many tanks over the many years..I no longer use even 1 HOB on my marine tanks anymore as the worry is not needed in my life anymore....:nono:

At 300 GPH overflow you need to have a gate/ball valve to control your pump.

Most run sumps with an overflow that will handle more then needed...

This is to have better control over the flow.The overflow will never move more water then pump feeds it.The pump controls/dictates the amount of water that will be offered to the tank.

I would be careful with a sponge in the overflow box also , as it clogs the water level in your tank will rise and sump will lower....

If you were to use an ATO{Auto Top Off} then it could easily cause your tank to flood.

As fresh said drilling a hole on the return is suggested along with keeping it or one of them at the surface level so it can not syphon..Metal springs in check valves for marine are a no I believe and may cause more head pressure then your pump can handle?

If you feel like drilling your J tube ,you can install a Toms Aqua Lifter pump to make sure you never lose syphon upon power failures ..I would never run an HOB overflow without one personally ,but unlike Fresh I have flooded many tanks over the many years..I no longer use even 1 HOB on my marine tanks anymore as the worry is not needed in my life anymore....:nono:

Yes, we decided to take the spring check valve back, we haven't found a proper check valve yet.

I'm not sure about where to drill the hole in the the return, any photos would be appreciated. I do want to do so though.

I'm interested in an aqua lifter, I need to do more research about it. I'm not sure how to install one.

I do not have an ATO, so that's one less thing I had to worry about.

The sponge came with the overflow set up, I will keep an eye on it to see if causes issues, if so I'll remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also, today I decided to add an algae scrubber. I've been looking into making a DIY one. Any design suggestions would be greatly appreciated! ;) thanks!

Search 'Santa Monica' for turf algae scrubbers...
An ATO can be as simple as a container and drip line made out of airline that works by gravity...
With small last compartments for pump many have to top off more often then they thought...This is the only place the water level will move in the sump or tank if all is running well.

Yes, we decided to take the spring check valve back, we haven't found a proper check valve yet.

I'm not sure about where to drill the hole in the the return, any photos would be appreciated. I do want to do so though.

I'm interested in an aqua lifter, I need to do more research about it. I'm not sure how to install one.

I do not have an ATO, so that's one less thing I had to worry about.

The sponge came with the overflow set up, I will keep an eye on it to see if causes issues, if so I'll remove it.

I'll try to sketch a pic of the siphon break hole. Just picture the return tube at the part where it meets the water (leading to a spray bar, nozzle, etc). Maybe a 1/4-1/2" above it is a small hole (~1/8") drilled at a 45 degree angle. When water exits the small hole, it leaves at an angle pointing downward to the water's surface. You may want more than one in case there is a clog due to algae, debris, or a wayward invert.
If the sponge is very coarse in the overflow it might be fine.

Thanks everyone!

The sponge in the overflow is a course sponge, I plan to keep my eye on it.

We finally got the sump up and running, exactly one week after we started to cut and glue the baffles, though I've been collecting materials for ~3 months. It could of been done faster, but my boyfriend was dragging his feet lol, he was very handy over the weekend though, framing our new bathroom, working on our stairs and even making a dog door. So I can't complain lol ;)

I do have one complaint though... The overflow box is very loud.... How can I fix this???!

We did the power outage simulation, the sump holds the water that is siphoned from the display, no problem, with some room to even spare. :) the siphon remains intact, and returns to normal when the power is restored. I drilled a small hole on the return nozzle, which stopped the back flow that we encountered in the first test run, before we glued. I am concerned however about the possibility of the siphon being broke if air were to build up, or some other reason, which would cause our display tank to flood. I've heard a little about an aqua lifter pump?? I don't really know much about them besides the name, so if anyone has any info or suggestions that would give us piece of mind. (We have been remodeling- new floors, new trim, etc.... So if my tank leaks, we will have major issues.... Lol
Boyfriend threatened that if it leaks, he will move the tank to the unfinished basement...)

We still have a few things to add, bio balls, refugium plants, and other media.. We also have a check valve that will hopefully work, in the mail. (Which should help, we have our pump at the lowest setting and it's almost too much)

Also, I built an algae scrubber following the "King of DIY"'s super scrubber YouTube video. I'm excited to see how it will do. It's hard to see in my photos, it's the black lid in the refugium section.

Without further ado:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470632123.029963.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470632136.769645.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470632151.530079.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470632167.301833.jpg

Also, I'm still on the hunt for a small skimmer that is under 16-17 inches tall and rated for 65+ gallons. Or potentially a HOB skimmer that is very good and not any eye sore.

Nicely done!
The toms aqualifter is just like an air pump ,but it sucks and pumps water through it.
You hook it up to the overflow tube and then run airline from tube to pump and back to tank...That easy...You may need the shelf to keep the pump near the overflow box as in the stand may be to much for the pump to draw?

To quiet the overflow a tube placed down the drain tube may help but many just fold a towel up and place it over the box...

Check out BRS for HOB skimmers that are decent, then search for a better price on evilbay/amazon....

Back
Top Bottom