switching tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaggiesGame

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is the best way to switch tanks? I just purchased a 55 gal, and want to move everything from the old tank into the new.
It has a sump, skimmer, and bio balls.........I do need to remove the bio balls correct? And do I still use my canister filter or not. (Canister filter is on old tank).

I have more questions but will wait on those. :oops:

Great to hear maggie.

Depending on what you want to do with the old tank there are a few different ways to go about this process.

If you want to totally take the old tank down and you dont plan on using it for anything anytime soon then you could put the fish in a bucket(s) of some sort. Transfer the substrate via a clean dust pan or pitcher or something like that.

Move your LR over

Move your water over. (easiest way to do this is to get a PH and put in th eold tank. Pust some hose on the outlet of the PH and run it to the new tank. Plug PH in and let it pump water from 1 tank to the other.

Then move the fish over.

It sounds like the new tank has its own filter with it. Yes you can take the bioballs out and just the wet/dry as a sump.

If your gonna use the old tanke for something then you could set the new tank up and put freshwater in it and bring the SG up by adding salt. Let run for a few days at tank temp and correct sg and then move the substrate and LR and fish as described above.

if its too far away for the PH. Then you could use your sump pump i imagine(if its a submersible one) or what I do is use buckets.. lots and lots of buckets

OR! if the 55 hapeens be to be lower then where the older tank is you should be able to run a hose to it and get a syphon goin..

Jacob

Back
Top Bottom