Taking the plounge this weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gregp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm new here and was hoping that I might get to know some of you because I'm sure I'm going to have a bunch of questions in the next few months. I've ordered a 75g tank that I'll be setting up next week. I have gotten myself a canister filter and will be going the SW route. My goal is to have fish and some invertabrae. First question is this, should I set up a quarantine tank right away?

I cannot stress enough how important quaratine tanks are. We all have said "ohh it wont happen to me" and sure enough it has. Something as simple as a 10 gallon substrate free tank with a small heather and sponge filer and some pvc pipes is all you need and will save you countless hours of problems and money in the long run.

John,

I realize that a QT is very important, my main question is whether or not I need to set it up at the same time as my new 75g? I'm under the assumption that I can put some LR and start the cycle process. Once that is done I may add a fish or two, but will I have to have the QT available once I do this?

i would wait to set up the qt until your main tank is cycled and your ready for fish. since a qt is only set up when you have a new fish, you dont really need to cycle it, just add a supplememnt so the fish will be ok. thats what i did, and my fish is doing fine so far.

sorry it's been a long day. If you wanted since a qt fish should be left 3-4 weeks in the tank until put into the main you could set the main up left it cycle and a week into the cycle set up the qt and let the fish live in the qt until the main has fully cycled. Only add one fish to the qt though something hardy as well since once your tank is done cycling the beneficial bacteria wont be strong enough to support a large bioload.

I'd also suggest a 20g QT instead of a 10g . Remember, bigger usually makes water more stable than smaller. And it may come in handy some day if more than 1 or 2 fish need to go in the hospital or a new pair into QT.

let me put in a word for flow in a QT. my clown was sickly until I put in a power filter (duetto 100) which had almost 10x flow in my 10g QT. he perked up very quickly after that.

Back
Top Bottom