Tank Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feelin_Salty

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is there a way to check and make sure my tank is fully cycled? I never really paid attention during the curing/cycling of my live rock/tank. I have a few crabs/snails living in my refugium for the last few days though, so I'm guessing it can't be TOO bad. But I do have 20 ppm nitrate and 0 Nitrite.... And I still haven't found out why i have 8 PH in my tank, but 0 coming from my RO...any help is appreciated

u cant seem nitrate with out nitrite likewise u cant see nitrite without ammonias so if your getting a reading of 20 nitrate then your tank is completely cyled

I thought nitrates turned into nitrites.... But you're right so its cycled and now i can finally add fish... YAY!

Definitely get the NO3 lower with a couple PWC's. A ph of 8 is a little low but not much concern on a newly cycled tank. 8.1-8.4 is Ideal PH. Be sure to add fish slowly. What size is the tank?

It's a 90 gal. I thought I wasn't supossed to have any PO4 at all, so it sounds good that 8 is just a little low...I have a weird tester, so it might even be about 8.1 All the tests that I have are crap, cause I can never get that close of a reading, I always have to give a little guestimation of what it is...

I am du for a pwc though, i had been doing them a LOT for a few weeks, and then I slacked off last week and didn't.

Now I'm on a big decision...add crabs/snails first, or fish?? Hm, decisions decisions

Are NO3 supossed to be 0? Is there a good natural something that I can put in my tank to keep em low, or are they just something that builds up and there's not much to do about?

Your first post says PH is 8 not PO4. PO4 should be 0. If you have a PO4 reading of 8 you should not be able to see the other side of your tank. :D Invest in a salifert or seachem test kit. (I prefer salifert) NO3 ideally should be 0 but rarely is. It depends on what is in your tank. This is a grey area but if you have corals keep it below 5ppm. FO only keep it below 20ppm

Oh my bad...it's PO4 at 1.5 and PH is at 8 Are either of these levels unsafe for fish?

Back
Top Bottom