Tom's 55G Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's about 20 minutes. This bucket is 29 quarts.

The sediment filter looks pretty dirty i usually change mine every 4 months but i use alot of water( im maintaining 250g of saltwater ) i also change carbon at same time usually dont look quite as dirty as yours then i change the di resin when my tds goes up from 0 i have a dual tds meter it reads water coming out of membrane and coming out of di ebay only 30$ it has been a big help for filter changes membrane should last a few years but if you dont change sediment and carbon filters you can potentually ruin the membrane

unsure, I don't have a TDS meter. I think I am going to invest in a brand new ro/di unit. most of them come with tds meters now a days. Just dont want to push the button yet.

unsure, I don't have a TDS meter. I think I am going to invest in a brand new ro/di unit. most of them come with tds meters now a days. Just dont want to push the button yet.

I wouldn buy a new one just maybe change the filters save some money but also ebay has a handheld tds meter for 10$ delivered this would be a good start

Thanks actually maybe ill do that instead. I just don't know anything about this. It was listed as coralife rodi unit but I'm unsure of the gpd
Also this part is leaking

image-2040173777.jpg

So I have to throw a towel over it

image-4226215175.jpg

Thanks actually maybe ill do that instead. I just don't know anything about this. It was listed as coralife rodi unit but I'm unsure of the gpd
Also this part is leaking

So I have to throw a towel over it

Ya thats no big deal might solve that with pipethread tape but ya id highly reccommend tds meter you may be adding nutrients or something from your source water

Thanks I just bought one online once it comes in will be by my next water change ill be able to tell. I have water for top offs and 2 water changes ready to go. I have it set up like this. Closed is ro water and the open (now For picture) is salt.

image-2286356310.jpg

image-2419900701.jpg

Picked up a new addition today. Branching goniopora. Didn't open up yet just drip acclimated it and placed it towards the bottom for now.

Here's a picture
image-3227828517.jpg

And a FTS moved some stuff around. Torch was getting too much flow so it wasn't opening as normal he's happier now. The frogspawn I placed at the bottom I had him where to torch was he opened up nice before I just moved him now.
Used panaroma on my iPhone looked good on here not sure how its gunna come out. Opinions?

image-3534202007.jpg

Thank you.

Woke up this morning and the clam looks dead. Do I remove it? The snails were at him last night he hasn't been fully opened like normal. He started to get a little brown instead of blue so I moved him under a rock that wasn't so bright bc i thought he was getting burnt. Then I moved him again to this spot a couple days ago. I'll attach a pic..

Here's some pics. I have not spot fed the clam. I would always incorporate cyclopeeze in my feedings thought it was a filter feeder and that would help. Idk if he just didn't last or what not. Had him for a couple months. Here's some pics.

image-2298921653.jpg

image-3510006848.jpg

image-3572073497.jpg

I think maybe it was due to lack of food and I don't want it to happen again. Here's pictures of my corals can anyone please let me know what to buy for feeding if needed, when to feed and proper IDs. took on my ipad sorry for the crappy pics. Thanks.

image-2972909777.jpg

image-2482688631.jpg

image-452787009.jpg

image-1038619502.jpg

image-2361520750.jpg

image-3784531386.jpg

image-1888413725.jpg

image-3251746562.jpg

image-3130158862.jpg

image-2456620095.jpg

Attachments

• image-635810818.jpg
    image-635810818.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 90
It most likely wasn't the lack of food in the water column that killed the clam. Clams are photosynthetic and can survive on mostly light. Don't ever spot feed a clam. You could do more harm than good.

You could purchase some phytoplankton for the gorgonian, but watch your nutrient levels. You don't want to foul your water with too much food.

Last edited:
Shading the clam was probably the final nail in the coffin.

I'm curious though Doug, why would you say spot feeding a clam could be a bad thing?

Ive had a clam for 6 years was 3 1/2" when i got it now its at least 7" never once feed it i dont use phyto either

People usually kill them when they squirt food into them. I have heard of removing a clam and placing it in a cup of tank water loaded with phytoplankton for a few minutes, but my clams are usually attached to the surface they are on and cannot be moved. Clams do not sift out large particles.
The idea that smaller clams need to be fed is a myth. I've purchased clams a dozen at a time that were barely an inch and grew them to 2" without a single feeding. Just light and good water.

Back
Top Bottom