Tom's 55G Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah same here, good Idea though. I wanted some "filler" fish if you know what I mean. My corals and inverts are thriving just a no go on the chromis for some reason :( maybe ill try again sometime.

The other day I ordered 160g bucket of instant ocean reef salt mix. I paid $52.99 and free shipping. I checked outside my door last night and they sent me two buckets! I got one for free. Awesome!!

The other day I ordered 160g bucket of instant ocean reef salt mix. I paid $52.99 and free shipping. I checked outside my door last night and they sent me two buckets! I got one for free. Awesome!!

The salt gods were watching over you lol

i hope so as well. i came home from work today and got my 2 hyro koralia evolution 750's in the mail and im not gunna lie but i have a pretty good buzz going i hooked them up in my tank and its pushing stuff all around. I hope it settles. I times my 2 , 250 gph circ pumps with my lights to go on and the hydors are going 24/7 as of now I hope my corals and everything are okay . kicking up a bunch of stuff hopefully it settles. happy new year.

It's not :( I installed my 2 hydor 750's last night and I'm at work now but my girlfriend just told me my yellow tang died. I don't understand. The only thing I can think of is all the junk the pumps kicked up made my parameters out if wack and led to bad water and since the tang had ich had a low immune system and couldn't handle the stress.

oh snap, that sucks. That's is a possibility. If you were battling ich it probably would have been best to try and not change the tank environment for a good while. I've never experienced ich but that's just based on what others have said.

I guess so. This is my first time dealing with it and really wasn't sure what to do. I'm not adding anymore fish anytime soon that's for sure. It's a shame though I try so hard and always am on this forum it's been so helpful and I've learned so much.

The most current question I have is about the circulation pumps. I have a total of 4 and again it's a 55g tank. 2 are koralia hydor 750's and 2 are aqueon 250's. where should I place them properly In my tank. Should I time any of them. Ill post up some pics in a little while of the current positioning to get opinions. Thanks again AA

From what I''ve read you want a total GPH 20 to 30 times that of the size of your tank. So for a 30g including power filters and power heads you want 600+gph
As for placement it depends on what corals you have because they may require different amounts of flow. I would have an area of high flow and an area of moderate flow.
What I would do is just use the 2 750s and one 250. Put one 750 at each end at different levels and one 250 on the back facing the front on one of the sides.

so if I have 2000gph that's okay? I can remove 1 of the 250 powerheads

What id do is position them in there how you think you might like then look at flow and how coral react then adjust from there in a 55 maybe try tha smalls one on each end and the bigger on back wall facing front might be good starting point

Ill leave the two big ones on each side and i have the two smalls on the back. 1 small is facing the front center and 1 is parallel to the back wall just so there's flow behind my rocks and it'll hit the heater. I have a handful of corals a cleaner shrimp and 1 clown left. some inverts like snails hermits and feather dusters. no more fish for a while until I figure out what the problem is.

Even though I tested yesterday I had a death and wanted to triple check my parameters.

Salinity - 1.027
Here's the rest :
Ph seems a little low but I think it's only because the lights have been off for a little while already.

image-3182083137.jpg

Anyone have an idea on why my corals are fine but I can't keep fish!!! So upsetting. I lost 1 fox face, two 6 lines, 5 green chromis, 1 clown and a mandarin. The tang lasted 2 months. The clown and fox face about 1. Both six lines died within 2 or 3 days same with the chromis. Too many fish at once. They were at least introduced a month apart.

Back
Top Bottom