Tom's 55G Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So excited. Can someone give me the drip acclimation process for dummies. What do I need how long Etc. I have 1 clown, a peppermint shrimp, sand sifting sea star I want to transfer over that's been in my 10g nano tank. Can I pour some water in slowly in interims in the mean time and do the drip acclimation for new fish I buy in the future?

I'd drip acclimate the star and shrimp. You'll need airline tube. Just siphon it then tie a knot in it so it's dripping about 2 drops a second. Then leave it there for like 1-2 hours then put it in the tank. :)

I am setting up a 55g corner, I currently have a 12g nano established. I will be using water from pwc to aide in decreasing cycle time until i can switch over fish, coral, cuc etc

Spicemonkey said:
I am setting up a 55g corner, I currently have a 12g nano established. I will be using water from pwc to aide in decreasing cycle time until i can switch over fish, coral, cuc etc

The water from another tank will do very little for building bacteria colonies. Other things can be used to seed it such as ornaments, filters and especially live rock.

I acclimated my clown, starfish & peppermint shrimp last night. Also added some more live rock maybe 10lbs I had in my nano tank. Some of the rock have some zoas on it that look SO much better with the new lightning system. Will post pictures later when I get home from work. I'm glad everything's good I hope the clowns fine when I get home and he settles in.

So the top of my tank needs to be covered. This is my next project. I like how clean the egg crates look but it seems pointless to help prevent evaporation. What can I use on the top of my tank with the inconvenience of the lighting brackets? I will post a pic right after this post to show you what I mean.

That's what I was thinking. I'm going to have to go to the local glass store and see if they can custom make a top for me depending on how much it would be.

I went to the lfs and have some new additions to the tank!

image-1510319818.jpg

image-3017489654.jpg

image-1045471221.jpg

image-1731246261.jpg

image-2496130638.jpg

It was so hard to get a picture of my tang he's so camera shy!

Personally, I really like my 3 chromis. Yellow headed jawfish is very cute and fun to watch move rocks around the outside of her burrow. Carpenters wrasse is beautiful.

Just got some more live rock from a buddy at Work. Didn't use it all but it was like 40 lbs for $40. Here's an update pic

image-2282926112.jpg

Just a small update, i purchased a refractometer just to have since the cheap hyro-meter is a pain sometimes if there's air bubbles on the arrow and even if i knock it they don't budge.

I also just gave in and bought a protein skimmer. I went with the Reef Octopus bh-100 it was $135 shipped, so hopefully will get that in 10 days or less.

Had a small diatom problem but heard its normal and will go away eventually. Still waiting on my ro/di machine to get here I bought last week still no shipping info for the tracking number so I can do a water change. I might have to swing by petco this weekend coming up to buy 5g of pre-mixed salt water and do a change.

That's pretty much it for now. My tang and pair of clowns are doing great. Still thinking about what to add next...

Great deal on that lr. I am green with envy.

Thank you, besides maybe 3 rocks = 20 lbs or so I got all my rock from people on craigslist. Highly recommended $$ saver for sure.

I'm excited to hook up my skimmer when I get it and see how much junk it pulls out!

Looking awesome man! You are stealing some LR man! I wish I had those deals. I walked in my LFS and told them that I have $80 (birthday gift certificates), give me as much LR as I can get. I got 10lbs lol. Still need about 40 more lbs so I would love to find a good deal on some LR.

Thanks guys! I learned a lot from this post. Going now to shake my amonia bottles!!

Back
Top Bottom