Torn, maybe you can help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
First-I hope this is the right section.

Second- I want to thank all who've helped me out so far with my fw tank. Some have gone so far to offer cell numbers and we've been texting ideas and advice. Really appreciate it.

Third- I really like this site and find a lot of good advice and find most are very knowledgeable. So continue the good work ladies and gentlemen!

Being a fire chief I can appreciate your willingness to help and commend you all!!

Ok so here I go. I have 1 tank so far. A fw Cichlid tank and LOVE it! Everything right down to testing and water changes. It gives me sense of accomplishment.

I'm thinking of venturing into the sw world.

My friend owns a LFS and has many many accounts all around New York and Westchester. Anyway he was talking to me about a biocube(I think that's what it's called) he told me this... 29 gallon, live rock, live sand, some corals, he'll throw in 3 fish (mentioned clown fish, gobys, starfish, and ground dwellers? i.e. Snails, shrimp etc... Mentioned something about a cool fish that siphons sand through gills or something.

So... Tank,sand,rock,stand,fish,ground dwellers,coral and some other stuff. He's also offering to come over and help get the tank set up and established(of course we'll hang out an have a few beers,maybe have the wives go out for the night.

All that for $500.00 I that a good price? He said the tank comes with everything I need. He did however mention something about a protein skimmer and a hydrometer also said something about adding another power head to make a current which he would set up for me on a timer to go back and forth. I'm TOTALLY new to the salt water world but very interested in this.

So I would like your input, is it a deal, steal or nothing special. We have been friends along time. I just don't know enough about this stuff. How hard is it to maintain? I've spoken to friends that have sw tanks but there HUGE like 200g or more so they say it's easy I'm assuming because there do big.

Was just looking for advice or input. I have space for it. Also I have a 29g bow front and stand. Would it be cheaper to convert that into a sw tank?

Sorry for the long post. I've started reading the stickies and researching sw but I think I'm a little intimated by it all.

Thanks for listening. Have a great day and all stay safe you and your fish :)

Hi welcome to the salty side! lol

$500 isn't a really great deal in my opinion. Brand new it's $350 for tank and stand. Then add some $$ for rock and sand and youre at $500 or less.

I have a 29g cube and passed on the skimmer, it was inadequate. And yep another powerhead is need as well. :-D

I wouldn't say saltwater is that hard. :) From what I remember, the Biocubes at my LFS were a little less than $350 all by themselves. Which meant that they didn't come with the fish or sand or equipment.

Also, the fish the puts sand through his mouth is called a sand-sifting Goby. :)

If you have anymore questions please don't hesitate to ask.

I would definitely start a SW whether you decide on this tank or not. It is lots of fun, especially when you get into corals and beautiful fish! :)

carey said:
Hi welcome to the salty side! lol

$500 isn't a really great deal in my opinion. Brand new it's $350 for tank and stand. Then add some $$ for rock and sand and youre at $500 or less.

I have a 29g cube and passed on the skimmer, it was inadequate. And yep another powerhead is need as well. :-D

Thanks! So with fish and all not a good deal huh? Hmmm... That was with rock, corals, fish, whatever it needed. I no NOTHING about this stuff so. Thanks for response. I feel torn because he offered to help set it up and get it established and to get fish and ground dwellers when the tank was ready. Now if I buy it say online I feel funny going to him for any supplies or fish etc...

What fish could be put in a 29g? I like the whole idea but know I'm limited. I've been reading some threads in the saltwater section and some of the members tanks are simply stunning!!! I mean there beautiful!!

Convict2161 said:
What fish could be put in a 29g? I like the whole idea but know I'm limited. I've been reading some threads in the saltwater section and some of the members tanks are simply stunning!!! I mean there beautiful!!

Here are some examples,
Clownfish
Hawkfish
Gobys
Firefish
And Blennies :)

I'm getting all pumped up! I'm going to look into all these and see what my options are. Another question. Do you really need live sand? What are the benefits?

Convict2161 said:
I'm getting all pumped up! I'm going to look into all these and see what my options are. Another question. Do you really need live sand? What are the benefits?

I wouldn't consider live sand a necessity, but I would highly recommend live rock. Some people like live sand, and some don't. I used live sand to set up my current tanks, but for my next tank I probably won't use it.

You will really like saltwater, it is amazing! :)

Very smart! Research before you buy and then your odds of encountering problems are cut back! :)

redsea said:
Very smart! Research before you buy and then your odds of encountering problems are cut back! :)

Thanks. I'll keep you posted. Probably not till after Xmas. I have a lot of research in the meantime. No rush here, I want to make sure I plan everything out.

I would also reccomend checking craigslist as well you. An find killer deals with patience. I got a biocube 29 40 pounds of live rock 2 clowns established for about a year for 150. All I did was add live sand and a cuc.

mdavidson said:
I would also reccomend checking craigslist as well you. An find killer deals with patience. I got a biocube 29 40 pounds of live rock 2 clowns established for about a year for 150. All I did was add live sand and a cuc.

Now that's a deal! And a great idea! Thanks!

Welcome. Hope you have luck with it. I have found sevral great deals including my acrylic tank on cl. I have hadto drive about an hour to hour and a half for most of them but it was well worth the drive.

On craigslist now! Already finding some awesome stuff!! One guy has a whole sw set up for sale but it's about 2 and a half hour drive. 40g sw tank with power heads, skimmer, rock. Then it just says other equipment. Also says comes with stand. Picture of tank looks like death though.

Back
Top Bottom