True Percula Preferred Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arget

Aquarium Advice Freak
If you don't have an anemone for a True Percula, what coral do they prefer? I plan on getting a pair after I get the tank setup. It'll be a reef tank, with a Pulsing Zenia, Zoas, Duncans, GSP, and Candycanes.

You don't want them to try to form a symbiotic relationship with corals. When clowns do this, they usually end up stressing the coral to death. It usually has to be a pretty large coral or anemone for such a thing to be OK with what is going on.

That being said, even though you give a clownfish an anemone, that doesn't mean that the symbiotic relationship will form. Neither the anemone or the clown need each other in our closed environment and you can't force them to either.

My clowns have more or less killed a Duncan, almost wiped out frog spawn. I have some big mushrooms that seem to tolerate them ok. They're relentless with the nudging and rubbing on soft coral. They killed a nem year ago.

So, no Duncans. That's the second time that I've heard of clownfish hating them.

You're reading it backwards. Clowns will be clowns, they are damsels and can be jerks. But if they get it in their brain that they can be rough on a coral or anemone, they can be so 'loving' to them that they kill it.

I wouldn’t even base your coral selection on what the clowns may like. I’d get corals you find interesting and hope the clowns don’t host them. Honestly a lot of the times clowns won’t ever host a coral/nem and will find something else in the tank to “host”. I’ve had several pairs of clowns and none have ever hosted anything including a rose bubble tip I had for a while. Clowns are funny fish hence their name.

Back
Top Bottom