Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2021, 08:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

True Percula Preferred Corals

If you don't have an anemone for a True Percula, what coral do they prefer? I plan on getting a pair after I get the tank setup. It'll be a reef tank, with a Pulsing Zenia, Zoas, Duncans, GSP, and Candycanes.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:49 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You don't want them to try to form a symbiotic relationship with corals. When clowns do this, they usually end up stressing the coral to death. It usually has to be a pretty large coral or anemone for such a thing to be OK with what is going on.

That being said, even though you give a clownfish an anemone, that doesn't mean that the symbiotic relationship will form. Neither the anemone or the clown need each other in our closed environment and you can't force them to either.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

My clowns have more or less killed a Duncan, almost wiped out frog spawn. I have some big mushrooms that seem to tolerate them ok. They're relentless with the nudging and rubbing on soft coral. They killed a nem year ago.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

So, no Duncans. That's the second time that I've heard of clownfish hating them.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:12 AM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You're reading it backwards. Clowns will be clowns, they are damsels and can be jerks. But if they get it in their brain that they can be rough on a coral or anemone, they can be so 'loving' to them that they kill it.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I wouldn’t even base your coral selection on what the clowns may like. I’d get corals you find interesting and hope the clowns don’t host them. Honestly a lot of the times clowns won’t ever host a coral/nem and will find something else in the tank to “host”. I’ve had several pairs of clowns and none have ever hosted anything including a rose bubble tip I had for a while. Clowns are funny fish hence their name.

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, corals, percula, red

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com