Zoanthid fraging?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gleach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If I have a small frag with a few different small colony's of zoanthid s 5 to 6. If I set my frag on my lr will the zoas eventually spread to my lr without having to glue them?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh cool thanks. I was also given some vitamins to put in the tank the bottle says that I should does 1 ml for every five gallons daily? If I have 1 frag in my whole 60 gallon tank will it really require a daily dosage? Seems a bit excessive for only a frag and some lr?

No there is no need to dose that stuff even with a lot of corAl in your tank

Really? They said it helps to keep the calcium levels up at the correct ammount? I know these are soft corals but I was told they also need small amounts of calcium?

The bottle said it has a wealth of other vitamins that even keep the fish more brightly colored.

A rule of thumb is never to add anything unless you are testing for it. It is easy to throw parameters out of whack and cause issues. There isn't anything weekly water changes can't solve in your tank that they sell in bottles as additives that adding too much of can crash a tank with ease. Why spend the extra money in that regard?

Really? They said it helps to keep the calcium levels up at the correct ammount? I know these are soft corals but I was told they also need small amounts of calcium?

Yes but your salt mix has everything you need in it. Regular water changes will keep calcium levels where they need to be. That stuff sounds like a gimmick. Are you testing for calcium? Only dose if you test for something and it's low. Blindly dosing can cause all sorts of issues

unless you have a lot of corals, that bottle of goodness is not needed at all. just do water changes and it will take care of all the "vitamins" needed

Okay I will have to check my calcium levels then. I dosed it 1 time. I was reading a book that said the calcium levels found in the salt solution would not be enough to support corals.

Sadly whoever wrote that is sadly mistaken. I wouldn't worry about doing the test. Water changes will ensure the levels will stay where they need to be if they are elevated.

I just read it again it said that water changes are enough if you don't do coral. I'll have to look into it more.

Depending on the type / amount of coral you may require dosing. For zoas and other softies you shouldn't have to if you are using a quality salt

I bought a five gallon tub of instant ocean aquarium salt it is not specified for reef tanks. Upon reading the package it does say that it has all the nutrients necessary to support a healthy marine environment but nothing about reef tanks.

Instant ocean is fine for all corals. I've been usin it since day 1 and have never had an issue with growth or color. I also have sps.

I have just started buying premixed salt water from my f/s.

Back
Top Bottom