10 Gallon Betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dreamsINdigital

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I have a 10 gallon tank that's being cycled right now. I'd like to get a male Betta fish for it, and some other fish to go with it. I was thinking about three Albino Cory Cats. Does that sound like it would work out? After the tank is cycled, does it matter which fish I get first? I was thinking that I should get the three Cory Cats first, and then introduce the Betta to the tank after.

I think that stock list would be fine for a 10 gal. And I also think the cory's first is a good idea since the Betta can then be used to sharing his space right away. Hopefully you find a betta that can get along with others. :)

Sounds perfectly fine to me as well. I'd also suggest introducing the other fish into the tank first, letting them get comfortable with their surroundings and settled in for a bit, and then introduce the betta last. I did that with a 10 gallon tank that I set up for my mother a while back and it seemed to work out really well for her. I gave her three little peppered cory cats, some neon tetras and glofish danios, and a male betta. They all do very well together and the tank looks pretty with all of the different color variations in it. I would still keep a close eye on the betta though once you introduce it to the tank -- just because one person says they had no problems does not mean you will not experience any issues. Believe it or not, each fish (especially bettas, from my experience) have their own personality. Some will get along very well with a wide variety of community fish, while others will drive off just about anything else you try to put into the tank with them.

Let us know what you decide to go with and how it all turns out in the end. Goodluck! :)

Thanks for the input everyone!

I think I might add some Neon Tetras in there as well. I heard that Neon Tetras sometimes don't work well with Bettas since their colors are similar and Bettas might think they're other Bettas and try to kill them. I also heard that Neon Tetras are fin nippers.

It's good to hear that Bettas and Neon Tetras have worked well with you guys. I was at the LFS yesterday, and they had a tank set up with a male Betta and a bunch of Neon Tetras, and it seemed to be fine also. So if I had 1 male Betta, 3 Cory Cats, and 4 - 5 Neon Tetras in a 10 gallon, would that sound appropriate, or is it a bit overstocked?

the corys would likely be too big to really be happy in a 10g unless they're pygmys; otherwise it sounds good

Back
Top Bottom