4 foot - 3 different decoration plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shell_Dweller

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!

I am new here!
I am planning a 4ft tank and I would like to do 3 different decorations. Partitioned like this..

1) 2ft of the space from the left to the middle will be ocean rock.
2) A small gap and next to it will be a 10 to 12" of bogwood piece that I have, includes the planted area.
3) Fill the sand bed with Escargot Shells on the right.

All that is left is deciding on my stock :)

To the right it will be a perfect environment for a group of shell dwelling fish lol. WHich type will be best are multifasciatus the most peaceful kind?

I want some sort of nice pleco as I know they like the bogwood. I know they say minimum of 4ft but would a small group of clown loach do well?

For the ocean rock area I am looking at some julidochromis or any other peaceful cichlids which will enjoy the ocean rock but wouldn't disturb the other fish.

Any stocking advice, help is welcome as this is my base thinking of the stock but I need a little more insight on what I can or can't stock.

:thanks:

HI and welcome! Interesting. I guess the thing to consider is that just because certain areas of the tank are made for certain fish doesn't mean they'll stay in that area, so you'd want to get fish that are compatible. You might want to post this in the Cichlid forum; you'd probably get better replies there from those who are experienced with Cichlids. Also is this your first tank and how are you going to cycle it? If you aren't sure or don't know what that means, read this link and it'll explain a lot. Good luck! http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

Hi thanks for the warm welcome. I have post this in the cichlid forum.
Its a brilliant guide I read through it all and all the steps. I was going to go through the prawn way but after reading this I might consider adding the ammonia solution instead. I have found a 500ml on ebay which mentions it is possibly all ammonia or 95% of it is and 5% plain water.

This is will be my second 4 foot tank and i have kept many smaller freshwater tanks in the past. I currently have a marine tank setup but I am shutting it down to put all my time and effort on this tank alone. Going through a marine tank trust me it has given me a lot of patience lol but Ive enjoyed waiting and watching the tank as it is.

Anyways, down to your thoughts of the new setup. I totally understand this and knew before I posted that not all fish will stay in their areas.

From what I have read shell dwellers prefer to stay in the shelly area and don't go off far to keep their shell secure from other shell dwellers. Once they have chosen one they usually dig the other surrounding shell in to the sand. I chose julidochromis as they say they do well with them in a tank with plenty rock as they will keep away from them, only the odd rumble at the start but then they tend to stick around the rock and open areas.

I guess the only questions here is what else I can add with them and if clown loach and pleco's will be fine. I have experience in both of these fish and I know how active clown loach are so there is a concern if they swim over the shelly territory unless they learn to keep away. I will see what they say in the cichlid forum.

:thanks:

I would suggest some bristle nose plecos for the wooded area, they are small enough you could prob keep a few.
How many gallons will it be, or do you have any other dimensions to go by? I'm really not sure if you'd have the room for a group of clowns... which is why I suggest the bristle nose, you won't need to worry about rehoming later.

I honestly know nothing about shell dwellers so can't say for certain on anything in regard to being ok with them but rams or angels may interest you as your more "peaceful" cichlids. They would make a lovely addition to your tank visually and still afford you some options for other fish.

Are their any other fish that really interest you? Like schooling fish or a center piece fish? I would say you have a fair amount of options really and could take this many places really. If you pick a few that you would like in your community we could probably give some good suggestions on compatible tank mates

I would suggest some bristle nose plecos for the wooded area, they are small enough you could prob keep a few.
How many gallons will it be, or do you have any other dimensions to go by? I'm really not sure if you'd have the room for a group of clowns... which is why I suggest the bristle nose, you won't need to worry about rehoming later.

I honestly know nothing about shell dwellers so can't say for certain on anything in regard to being ok with them but rams or angels may interest you as your more "peaceful" cichlids. They would make a lovely addition to your tank visually and still afford you some options for other fish.

Are their any other fish that really interest you? Like schooling fish or a center piece fish? I would say you have a fair amount of options really and could take this many places really. If you pick a few that you would like in your community we could probably give some good suggestions on compatible tank mates

Hi. Thanks for your support :)

I have left out the thought of shell dwellers. However I am still very interested in the freshwater Tang cichlid species and at the moment I am looking into the mouth brooders (Xenotilapia), a group of Cyprichromis leptosoma and a goby cichlid.

Back
Top Bottom