5.5 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethann

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What fish can make a home in my tank? Need stocking advice.

Hello everybody, I'm new here! Well, not completely new, I've looked at other forums here throughout the last 6 months and its helped me a lot! I recently relocated my Double Tale Betta-Liverpool-to a 10 gallon tank because:
A. He's quite the swimmer
B. His 5.5 gallon tank sprung a leak and the 10 gallon was on sale, so he got an upgrade!
He's pretty darn happy in that big tank all by himself!
Anyway, I had the 5.5 Gallon tank fixed, and I've got an unused heater and filter sitting around as well, and I am thinking about setting up the 5.5 gallon tank, and cycling it and adding another tank to my quickly growing collection.
I'm wondering what kind of fish (whether it be 1 or more) could be HAPPILY kept in a heated 5.5 gallon tank? I've already got 6 Black and Gold Skirt Tetras in a bigger tank, and I am well aware they can't be kept in such a small tank, so I've ruled them out. Plus, I'd like to switch things up a bit. I'd be happy to get another Betta if that were my only option, they're easy to take care of and have great personalities. But, I'd like to know what my other options are, if there are any. If I were to rescue another Betta (those cups they come in are horrid,) I'd have to invest in a different filter. The one I have sitting around came in the tank and has a flow that was too strong for Liverpool's fins so it would probably bother a different Betta as well. Thanks for your suggestions ahead of time :)

Just a thought about the betta, female bettas are pretty too! I don't see many people keeping them other than breeding purposes

I've thought about it, and if I do go with a Betta, I'll probably get a female, just because it might not get as big and outgrow the 5.5 like Liverpool has. But, Liverpool is also an aggressive swimmer, so the 5.5 just wasn't doing it for him, whereas another Betta might not be as active.

You think so? I've been thinking about getting guppies, but have read that they need at least a 10 gallon...

I would say a betta is about the only thing that I would put in there. It's a bit small for guppies.

Have you thought about doing a planted shrimp tank?

I wouldn't do anything besides a betta. Or you could do a shrimp tank and start a red cherry shrimp colony.

You think so? I've been thinking about getting guppies, but have read that they need at least a 10 gallon...

If you do do guppies I'd only do one or two males. Your other options are the betta or maybe some shrimp ? Or a sparkling gourami !

Back
Top Bottom