75 gallon stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWFishTanks

Aquarium Advice Addict
I dont know what to get for my 75 gallon south American themed aquarium

I am pondering over:

3 angelfish, a school of 6 to 15 tetras (suggestions appreciated), and 6 cories

a school of 15 small tetras, a school of 6-10 larger tetras, and 6 cories

The tank will be semi planted with driftwood and sand substrate.

Which would work best?

I dont know what to get for my 75 gallon south American themed aquarium

I am pondering over:

3 angelfish, a school of 6 to 15 tetras (suggestions appreciated), and 6 cories

a school of 15 small tetras, a school of 6-10 larger tetras, and 6 cories

The tank will be semi planted with driftwood and sand substrate.

Which would work best?

I believe angel fish get quite aggressive when they're bigger. May be a big enough tank tho that they can all have there space.

Id probobly go for the latter set up. Do you only want a couple species of fish?

I would not mind a couple species of fish only, but i would like a centerpiece fish that is south American, like an angelfish or a fish of similar size. Maybe a discus, but i think they need groups. Can i have one single angel fish with tetras about the size of bleeding hearts? Or would the angel still be aggressive in the future?

I would not mind a couple species of fish only, but i would like a centerpiece fish that is south American, like an angelfish or a fish of similar size. Maybe a discus, but i think they need groups. Can i have one single angel fish with tetras about the size of bleeding hearts? Or would the angel still be aggressive in the future?

I think if u get the angel fish as a baby and raise it with the tetras you could be ok. I'm not sure tho, i wanted an angel but changed my mind when i read up on them.

Thanks for the response! I might try an angel with larger tetras and raise from a young age. See hhow it works because i really love angelfish. :ROFLMAO:

I have an angelfish with cardnial tetras, glowlight tetras, and black neons and have had no aggression whatsoever. I wouldn't worry about it because almost every user on this forum who has angelfish keeps them with tetras.

Angelfish are usually fine with tetras, although there may come a time where they get large enough to fit your smallest fish into their mouths... I've had angelfish eat rummynose tetras, and I've even had one eat a cory. They were large angelfish though, and the first instance is because I was traveling a lot at the time and the tank wasn't getting regular feedings for a bit... can't blame the angelfish for taking the opportunity. The one that ate the cory was huge, that was just a fluke.

A male and female pair would do well in this tank. If you start with juveniles, buy about 6 of them and raise them until a pair forms. Pairs can be intolerant of other angelfish so you will probably need to rehome the others at that point.

For your stock I would also do 1 angelfish 10 cardnial tetras 10 penguin tetras 1 bristle nose Pleco 6-10 bleeding heart tetras and 6-10 juli cories.

I don't know what else you could add to make it more interesting... Maybe remove the bleeding hearts or one of the schools of tetras and look for something different to add.

Honestly, I would do a large school of tetras, 2 angels, the corys, and one school of something different.

Here is what I personally would stock:

20x Cardinal tetras - Large enough to not get eaten by angels unlike the neons
10x Cory Cats
6x Boesemani Rainbows
2x Angels

That will give you a very active colorful tank without having to worry about fish coming up missing.

how about a school of 6 bleeding hearts, a school of 8 pristella tetras, 6 cories, and a pair of angels?

Should be fine, but I'd bump up the number of pristellas to 10-12, personally.

Back
Top Bottom