adding corys to tank with bettA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bambithegirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone,

Ive had my betta for about 4 weeks now and next week I am going to get the dwarf corys which I have ordered. I am only getting 4 as I have an 8 gallon tank.

My betta Matisse is quite active and explores the whole tank but not sure how he will react to the corys.

Any suggestions about the introduction would be great. Eg, do I take Matisse out before I put them in? Perhaps he will get a chance to check them out when I float the bag?

I do not have a back up tank, so if they dont get along Im not sure what I will do. I have fine sand (pool fiter) and some rocks and driftwood so there will be some hiding spots for the corys.

ANy info would be appreciated :fish2:

I would definitely remove him for a bit and rearrange the tank decor. Introduce the Corys, then reintroduce the betta.

Some bettas tolerate tank mates, some do not. It all really depends on their personalities. I have never had issues, but most of my bettas have been rather laid back. I have only had one that refused to tolerate any tank mates, and he lived happily in a 2 gallon aquarium by himself for all of his days.

If it doesn't work out, is there any chance you can return the Corys?

I highly doubt that the betta will even care about the corys. I would just acclimate them and then add them in. No need to worry about removing and rearranging. Just keep an eye on him for a little bit and all should go well.

I have 6 corys in my betta tank. Get on great :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yay, so excited. Thank you. And I know everyone has very strong and different opinions, but I have an 8 gallon. 4 Dwarf corys should be alright hey?

Please get more than 4. They're micro fish with a very low bioload, and they need to be in big groups to feel secure. I'd go as high as 7. That's what I'd get if I were in your situation.

Just keep up with frequent water changes. Every 3-4 days may not be a bad idea.

I seriously doubt the betta will even notice that the corys exist, as they spend 99% of their time on the bottom and a healthy betta spends very little time on the bottom.

Just make sure your tank is fully cycled and you never get even a whisper of ammonia or nitrite. Corys are less tough than bettas.

Taking the betta out and/or rearranging the layout may not be a bad idea, just to have all your bases covered.

thank you Mr sprinkles. I might get more in that case. My betta is Very active and although he spends more time towards the top of the tank he loves exploring everywhere including the bottom. But I will watch them carefully. Hopefully he will not mind them. My tank is fully cycled, I spent 45 days doing that before I got Matisse :) I generally check the readings once a week just to be certain. Nitrites and ammonia are always zero.

thank you Mr sprinkles. I might get more in that case. My betta is Very active and although he spends more time towards the top of the tank he loves exploring everywhere including the bottom. But I will watch them carefully. Hopefully he will not mind them. My tank is fully cycled, I spent 45 days doing that before I got Matisse :) I generally check the readings once a week just to be certain. Nitrites and ammonia are always zero.

Mr. Sprinkles made me think of something. One thing to watch out for that isn't a bad idea to point out: Your bio load in the tank is adjusted to just one betta at the moment. Adding 4 of the corys will possibly triple your bio load and give you a mini cycle. It wouldn't be a bad idea to test your water for ammonia the first few days they are in the tank.

Mr. Sprinkles made me think of something. One thing to watch out for that isn't a bad idea to point out: Your bio load in the tank is adjusted to just one betta at the moment. Adding 4 of the corys will possibly triple your bio load and give you a mini cycle. It wouldn't be a bad idea to test your water for ammonia the first few days they are in the tank.

I didn't even think of that. :rolleyes::nono:

This is definitely going to be a sticky situation. The best thing you can do is add a bunch of cycled biomedia from another aquarium to the betta tank when you add the corys. That will prevent a minicycle.

Each cory will have a bioload about 0.5-0.75 that of the betta, if they're adults and eating well. (Bettas have a low bioload for their size and don't eat a lot).

By adding established biomedia from another aquarium, you'll be increasing your biofilter capacity to account for the corys. Get all 7 at once if you're adding biomedia.

If you have no other aquariums, or friends with aquariums, try asking online on a local forum for your area, or ask the pet shop if they'll give you some.

Odds are whoever you ask will want you to buy them replacement media (if they give you 1/2 Liter of ceramic media, they'll want you to buy them 1/2 liter of the same media).

I think I will start with 4 only. Most fish stores here are not very knowledgeable and I doubt I will get any media from them. If I just add 4 corys to start with, would it be ok if I just tested my water every 2 days? I don't want them to suffer

Back
Top Bottom