Am I too overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbirdlala

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey guys, I'm still a tank newb. and I needed some advice. I have a 15 gallon tank, and I have 4 guppies, 1 platty, 2 otos, and I just added 2 Julli cory. I have a 20 gallon filter. I think the tank might be a little overstocked..

- Do I have too many fish?
- Also, will my cory's get stressed by only being 2 of them, I know they like to school together.. (I couldn't find any pygmy corys, so I went with julli's. I had ghost shrimp, but they kept dying soon after they molted.) :confused:

Nooo the general mesurment is 1 inch of fish per gallon your fine maybe ge another Cory cat

Nooo the general mesurment is 1 inch of fish per gallon your fine maybe ge another Cory cat

Not to be rude, but 1 inch=1 gallon is so wrong it's horrid. Fish have different bioloads.

Also, I think you should bump the Cory's to 5 and get some schooling fish. Maybe 5 or 6 neon tetras?

Ohh I didn't know that that what the people at pet smart told me... Never should have listened

This is a column tank, right? The dimensions are a lot shorter than a standard rectangular tank so it does limit stocking somewhat. I'd say you're pushing it now given there isn't much horizontal room for the fish. I'd get a larger filter too.

This is a column tank, right? The dimensions are a lot shorter than a standard rectangular tank so it does limit stocking somewhat. I'd say you're pushing it now given there isn't much horizontal room for the fish. I'd get a larger filter too.

Oh yes it is a column tank, i forgot to mention that part. I was thinking the same thing, so I was worried that my julli's will get stressed out being only 2 of them - and I feel like I'm already slightly above what I should have in the tank. I might add one more julli cat once I upgrade my filter. I just don't want to do daily water changes from being too overstocked.:facepalm:

You're not overstocked! You're doing good. Ottos usually live in schools of 6 and cories in packs of 3.

It's fine. 99% of the time petco and Petsmart have no clue what they're talking about.

Agreed. I went there this weekend looking for some products. and the person in charge of aquariums was an idiot. This is why I go on here. Before I go anywhere. Ppl on this site are awesome.

haha ya that is true. I was more meaning slightly overstocked versus way over stocked, but I get what you are saying :oops:

I know, I was joking! :D
I just love correcting people on this site, somebody once wrote "stalk" instead of "stock" and I asked him why he would stalk a fish tank! :lol::cool:

Back
Top Bottom