Newby - Am I Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nairb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm Brian from Brisbane. I have a 90l tank but I think it's too full...help!

Attachments

• 16935679242036107027711574580613.jpg
    16935679242036107027711574580613.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 22
What fish and how many, do you have in there? What filtration do you have? What are your water parameters? Preferably taken before your regular water change? What is your normal water change schedule? How much, how often?

Are you having any issues with the tank that has led you to being concerned about overstocking?

Last edited:
I have a 90l tank with: 4 angels, 12 tiger barbs, 6 neon tetras, 5 guppy, 2 plecos (and they just had a baby)

Yup, you are seriously overstocked. I see nothing but issues with that many fish in such a small tank.

Can you answer the other questions please? If you dont know, say i don't know.

You need to be removing probably 2/3 to 3/4 of the fish just to manage the bioload.

Lets start with the angel fish. 4 angel fish in 90 litres is asking for trouble. When 2 pair up, they will just fight the others. There just isnt sufficient room for 4 angelfish. Ive tried to keep 4 in 200 litres, and it was fine for about a year, then i had to go to 1 pair or they would have eventually killed each other. You might get away with keeping a pair in that size tank once 2 have paired up, but really even 2 would benefit from a bigger tank. They also might predate on the neons and guppies.

Tiger barbs need a little more space than 90 litres, 120 litres would be better. Keeping 12 on their own in 120 litres might work, but not with the other fish. They are also too aggressive to be kept with peaceful neon tetras.

Do you know what kind of pleco it is? Some plecos get big, a common pleco can get 24" and need a 400 litre tank. Some stay small, like bristlenose plecos.

Honestly you need a complete rethink. Unless you are planning on getting a 400 litre tank you need to lose 2 of the angelfish (really all 4), lose all the tiger barbs, maybe the plecos depending on the actual species, and focus on keeping nice groups of the tetras and guppies. If you are going to get a much bigger tank, then you still need to think more carefully about compatibility between different species.

Last edited:
Thanks for that... I have another 25L tank, can I put 2 of the angels in that?

No. 2 angelfish really need to be in 120 litres. Take them back to where you got them. They shouldnt have sold them to you without checking you can look after them. If they wont take then back then just leave them on the counter and walk out. Same with the tiger barbs, return at least half of those.

Today ive been having an online conversation with a fellow aquarium keeper about fish stores and how i no longer get angry when they sell unsuitable fish unless its extremely negligent. This is up there, it amounts to animal abuse. Not your fault, but whoever sold you these fish needs taking out of the industry altogether.

Did they ask any questions at all when they sold you these fish?

Last edited:
I bought them from Mad Aquariums in Brisbane. I said I was happy because apart from the angels, the only fish I see are the guppys. The rest are hiding. I was told to get more fish, "safely in numbers " was the reason. ��

Bigger groups of social fish like tetras can make them feel more comfortable, and less likely to hide. Bigger groups of aggressive fish tends to make them keep the aggression within the group rather than attacking other types of fish. But you also have to consider that mixing a group of aggressive barbs with a group of peaceful tetras isnt going to provide a very good quality of life for the tetras.

Also, if a small fish can fit in the mouth of a bigger fish, the bigger fish will see a meal. An adult angelfish can easily eat a neon tetra, so again not a good quality of life for the tetras.

If the tank is big enough then adding more fish might solve some problems, but if the tank isnt big enough the cure is worse than the disease. Adding more fish has just caused a severe overstocking, it will cause water quality issues, increase stress in the tank, lead to disease and fish not living a full, healthy, happy life.

The fish store is just trying to get you to spend money. Their advice is extremely negligent.

Return all the angelfish, make a choice between the tetras and guppies, or the barbs and return the fish you dont decide on.

If you keep the tetras and guppies then get 10 of each. If you keep the barbs, then return 4 of them and keep a group of 8.

I would still like you to go back and answer the questions posed above so i can gauge if there are any further issues beyond an overstocked tank.

Also, what do you know about cycling a tank? How long has the tank been set up?

My tank is an Aquastyle 620T. The filtration is ceramic rocks, then plastic sponge, then the charcoal covered by felt, standard with the tank. The water temperature is 26°, pH is 7.5. I clean the filters weekly and I change 1/4 of the water fortnightly. The tank is 6mths old. I don't know what cycling a tank is.

I have 1 bristle nose pleco and the other one is a plane pleco, no bristles. I didn't realise they were going to breed. Also, my guppies have been pregnant for months.

You need to know your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. These will give an indication on whether you are cycled, but a 6 month old tank should be cycled.

Typically a fully stocked tank has 30% or 50% the water changed every week. You are 3x overstocked. I would be changing 50% of the water every 2 or 3 days in your case until you resolve your overstocking problem.

Gestation period for guppies is 3 or 4 weeks, so if a guppy has been pregnant for months something isnt right. Im no breeding expert, but if you can post a photo of a pregnant guppy someone should be able to confirm whether it is pregnant or not. Stress can cause guppies to hold onto fry, and your tank will be a very stressful environment.

Back
Top Bottom