An Overly Asked Question by Myself!! :D --- stocking a 15 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Since Armageddon has occurred in my tank, I now have an empty 2ft tank that is in the process of re-cycling. Whilst that is happening I am trying to do my research-yet again, on what fish I can put in there.

It's not very big measuring, 2ft long by 1ft high and just like the very first time I started in this hobby, I want every fish I see lol. That's where you guys come in :D The tank is 12 gallons UK which is about 15 gallons US so not a lot to work with.

The fish I am considering are;

Dwarf Gourami
Neon Tetra
Platys
German Blue Rams

Feel free to suggest any other stocking ideas :D

I LOOOVE Platys.
The red ones are so gorgeous. I was thinking of getting some myself when it's time to upgrade tanks.

Have you tried aqadvisor.com? It tells you what your stocking levels are going to look like. It might not be perfectly accurate , but it gives you a pretty good idea.

GBRs should have more room than 15g.

Try this:
1 dwarf gourami
8 neons
5 khuli loaches

You'd be reasonably stocked with that. I'm not a big fan of AqAdvisor. The algorithms it uses are sketchy at best. You can use it for some rough planning, but you'd be much better off asking about stocking ideas here before going through with anything.

1 Dwarf Gourami and 8 Neons is actually what I was going to go with :) but i'm not sure about the Kuhli's, I've never seen them over here and find them quite creepy haha Is there anything else I could put in there? Something that will add more colour and also make the tank interesting? :)

You could do 5 cories instead of khulis, as long as you got a smaller variety. Both cories and khulis are fun to watch, but they're not the flashiest fish. Striped khulis and julii cories would add some pizazz with their patterns.

You could add a mystery snail. The shell of the golds is very bright. I'm partial to the blues. The shell is a bit dull, but the bodies are dark blue with orange spots. If you don't have live plants, you can look at rabbit snails too. They come in some bright colors.

I'm not familiar with the julii corydoras, however I wouldn't mind a few of the Albino Cory's would these be suitable for my tank?

It really depends on the species of the albino cory. Most of them are corydora aeneus, which has the potential to hit 3", but usually stays smaller. If I calculated right, your tank's footprint is 2'L x 1'W. That would support a school of albino aeneus cories.

Oh that's good :) I've wanted these fish since I started this hobby, over a year ago :) So if I have my math right I would have 14 fish adding up to 24 inches, that would be the maximum amount of fish I could have right? :)

First things first: Forget the inch per gallon nonsense. I've heard things like this too many times:

Poster: "My oscar isn't doing well in my 10g!"
Me: "Oscars need at least a 55g for one fish. It won't survive for long in a 10g."
Poster: "But he's only 8" long. The inch per gallon rule says that works!"

There are too many exceptions for the inch per gallon theory to be a rule.

On a different note, I'd say your tank is pretty well stocked. Even if your water parameters are good, you'd be cramping the fish with any more company.

Back
Top Bottom