Angels Plus Active Sponge Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoelCouch

Aquarium Advice Regular
I decided to pick up some Angels Plus active sponge filters. We happen to have 3 tanks starting up right now (Fluval Edge 6 Gallon, Fluval Edge 12 Gallon and a Aqua Japan 20 Gallon). Long story short, the guy helping us at the LFS suggested to my Wife that she could put fish in her tank right away (I get it... fish-in cycling). However, there is ammonia in the tank and that isn't a good thing. While we can see the signs of the cycling process, when I learned about the Angels Plus active sponge filters I ordered 3 of them.

The two Fluval tanks had very small sponges, so I cut up the filter and fit it into the filtration system. The Aqua Japan on the other hand had a HUGE filter. Cutting up the rest of the filters still wasn't enough to fully replace the original filter.

Here's my question...

I put the Angle filter pieces in place of the original filter. Then I took the original filter and placed it in the last portion of the filter just before the water comes back into the tank. Any thoughts on this? I'd like to get the original filter going with a healthy colony of BB to, in the future, return to its original location.

I'm also up for any other comments or suggestions.

Hi there!!

I used the same exact active sponge! I think you are absolutely on the right track. I just switched from a small 3 gallon filter to a much larger 20 gallon filter. I put the active filter material on the bottom and added my newer filter material on top so it would be seeded by the active filter material.

You should see a very quick cycle here soon!

Thank you for your response, ThankinWithUs. Your thread is one of the threads I read about these filters and is one of the reasons I decided to get them. Thank you for posting your experience.

I'm not sure where you live, but AngelsPlus is located in New York where it is VERY cold. I'm in Maryland where it is also VERY cold. I ordered an active filter from them last week and got it a few days ago with ice crystals all over it. I've no doubt the BBs are dead.

Not blaming AnglesPlus, *I* ordered them knowing the weather, mistakenly thinking paying for rapid shopping and the package being inside most of the time, the filter would be fine. Perhaps it froze on the truck before delivery!?!$

Anyway, FYI.

Keeping my sleeves wet...

~ Sent via Carrier Goldfish

Wow, FishyMamma! I'm sorry that was your experience. Mine was the exact opposite. I saw an immediate difference in my cycle; but, I'm also in Florida...

Yeah, bummer. I've used them in the past.

Like I said, I blame my own error, not theirs. And this regards a delivery from a few days ago - so, pretty cold out.

Keeping my sleeves wet...
Sent via Carrier Goldfish

FishyMamma, I am concerned about this as well. I have recently placed orders for plants as well. The nice thing, they are smart enough to know the weather and when it is safe to ship. They held the order till the weather clears up. I live in California, we are (well... I am) completely oblivious to weather concerns. It did not even occur to me to think about weather. I can (and do) wear shorts regularly here. I'm not one to point blame often but I would be disappointed if the weather means that I don't get the BB that I paid for.

I suppose I'll have to keep this thread updated with the results so that others can understand what my experience turns out to be.

So far my Ammonia isn't getting under control (I haven't tested my nitrites or nitrates). My ammonia (both NH3 and NH4) is tested automatically about every half hour and is quite accurate.

My Wife's 12 gallon Fluval Edge is showing signs of progress (nitrite and nitrate increases), which it was before we swapped out the filter media. However, the fact that it is still progressing is hopeful (old media is gone, only the new AnglesPlus media).

Haven't been closely testing the 6 gallon Fluval Edge. It's my daughter's responsibility and it has no fish, so she isn't too worried about it. She'll probably check it again in a day or two.

Hey JoelCouch, How did the cycling turn out? I watched one of their videos about the Active Sponge and Steve (the owner) mentioned that the cold weather won't affect the BB's. Also, they were watchful about those, I guess. I placed an order for a bunch of stuff with them and an Anubias was one among them. They cancelled that item from shipment and they were kind enough to inform me about it over phone and by email. But they did ship my Active Sponge. I live in Boston and its still cold here..Hope yours is already cycled by now based on when you started this thread..

Sorry for such a long delay in my response, I stopped monitoring this thread for a bit.

My tank (and the others) are indeed now cycled nicely. I don't have enough experience to say with any kind of certainty, however I don't believe I saw an improvement in the time it took to cycle my tank. That said, I also put the media in towards the later part of the cycle, so had we used these sponges from the beginning we may have seen different results.

Back
Top Bottom