Another Newbie here.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RDerrick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I'm a 38 year old women who hasn't had fish for a long, long time. Thankfully my son won a goldfish from the Strawberry Festival (well, not for the poor fish) I brought Rango (son named him that) home in that small box thing that you can buy for way too much money and the next day bought a hardly better tank. Poor fish never really had a chance with the 1.77 gallon tank I got (with filter) because after 2 weeks the ammonia spiked too high and he didn't make it. It had been so long I forgot about the basics. I pulled out my old 30 gallon tank from many, many years ago and just started cycling it last night. Poor hubby didn't have a chance to even complain before it was set up. Now I can try to remember and research what I don't before I get fish for the tank.

We're all here to happily help you along :) and yes those links will help you a LOT. What kind of fish do you think you might want to have? Do you think you might want a planted tank? What kind of substrate do you lean towards? (i like sand personally). I know its a lot of questions lol but its helpful to know in advance.

Sorry about that. Cable company came to upgrade internet. My tank is a 30 gallon long one. I got gravel (top-fin 30 lbs), 24" airstone, volcano with air stone, the air pump is supposed to be good for a 40 gallon tank. My filter is an aquaclear 50. A few plants (around 7 or so) and just started cycling it last night. Fish-less cycle (new to me) I haven't decided on fish yet but do want some advice on them for this tank. I have a heater (150w) on order with an API test kit (3 stores around here sold out of them) just picked up the ammonia kit until it comes in) and my gravel vac will be coming also.
The tank has to be nice for a 10 year old boy to say they are "his" fish even if they really aren't. I put a pic of the tank as my avatar and threw the same pic in my album. I haven't even put a background on yet. (My son wants Marvel superheros on it and I want something different)

Hi and Welcome!!!

Strawberry Festival?? Are you here in the Willamette Valley?? If you need help with a tank jump start or what have you drop me a PM - usually have some extra filter media running on a tank or 2

Plant City Strawberry Festival, I live right outside of Tampa, Florida. Thank you though.

I have a few weeks to decide what to stock the tank because of the cycling. I remember most of the basics now and have visited most if not all of those links (Thanks!) The tank is in a bacteria bloom right now, no biggie during cycling as it is already clearing up. My test kit, the API freshwater kit, is supposed to be here on Tuesday so that's good. Part of my problem with stocking the tank is there are few stores near me for fish that I trust. I was in one and the employee told some woman that it was ok to put 5 or 6 goldies in a 10 gallon tank. I said tsk, tsk to him and he said it was no big deal and the fish would be fine. I do NOT want to go back there. The other LFS near me I wasn't too impressed with either. I've heard super positive and super negative reviews from other people and I tend to believe the negative ones from what I saw. Tomorrow I'll be checking one out across the bay in Pinellas Park. I work over there on Sundays and hopefully *crossing fingers* they'll be good.
I still need stocking ideas that a 10 year old would be ok with. I have time to pick now but I want to research the fish and see what ones the LFS (after I find a good one) has in stock that are healthy also. My petsmart has a great fish guy there but I would really prefer not to buy fish there. Thanks for all the help everyone!

1 dwarf gourami
6 neon tetras
6 x-ray tetras
6 zebra otocinclus
6 marbled hatchetfish
8 cherry shrimp OR 5/6 blue tiger shrimp (managed to talk my son into different shrimp instead of just ghost shrimp)) The tiger shrimp are very expensive to me and I can do 5+1 for the tank
Still have time to decide before the tank finishes cycling yet and I still have to find a nice lfs in the Tampa or Pinellas Park area.
I found the grouping online and think I like it the best so far. Any other ideas or change in the numbers above? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom