Beginning Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevin.getrhythm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to keeping an aquarium and am trying to put together a plan for a nice beginner FW community tank. My plan was to pick a good starting group of fish and then plan the tank around that, and then set up and cycle etc...

This is my thought:
A couple Zebra Danios (Not sure how many, I haven't seen anyone give a number for a good amount.)

7-8 Tiger Barbs

4-5 Serpae Tetras

4-6 Banjo Catfish

How big a tank would this require, I am afraid I may only have room for a 29ish gallon, would that be enough? Be more than willing to drop one set of either the Danios, Barbs, or Tetras to make it work better.

Would the Tiger Barbs fit well into this mix, I have read they can be fin nippers, but that they were better in a school and when they are fed properly.

Personally I would ditch the tiger barbs. I have had bad luck with them killing or stressing all my other fish. To me the rest sounds ok for a 29 gallon tank.

That would definately work for a 29 gallon, minus the tigers. You are right they can be nippy...As thominil said, try some cories. They are extremely fun to have when you have a bunch. Make sure you get around 6-8.

I agree with all of the above no to the tigers but a big yes to the cories I love watching those little guys scour the substrate.

I agree on the 29 gal choice...but you could also do a 20 if you went with less tiger barbs, which I recommend. Whenever I set up a tank I first choose what will be my centerpiece fish....the one I would like most to have in the tank and then pick the best tank mates around that choice. Despite the label community fish, there are some fish that simply annoy pick on or simple are not good matches for other community fish due to a number of factors.

Serpae tetras are nice schooling fish with a nice colour and they don't nip. I would also ditch the tiger barbs, as they can get annoying for other community fish, and will keepp your bottom a bit busy with the catfish. Perhaps consider a couple mollies or guppies. Also, as a note whether you use plastic or live plants, the schooling fish will no doubt appreciate the added diversity in the terrain to weave about in. Good luck!

NO LESS THAN 6 DANIOS. Since they are schoolers, they get stressed when kept in smaller numbers and will nip and harass other species to alleviate their boredom. Since they are very energetic, the 29g will be a great size for 6-10, depending on your stocking. PS. They love swimming against currents, so a strong filter or powerhead makes a nice fishy-treadmill for them.

Thanks for all the replies, I will leave out the Tiger Barbs, and continue to plan out a tank.

I think I have decided on a 29G tank, plan to buy it this Wednesday and get the cycling started.

Kevin,

I just started a 20 about 2 months ago. Having good luck so far, except I think my platy got swim bladder disease.

I have a dwarf gourami as one of my centerpiece fish. He's really very beautiful, and has behaved himself, as has my swordtail.

I just got 5 long-finned zebra danios on Saturday. They are fun to watch, but I hear they're jumpers, so watch your cover.

I looked into tiger barbs because they are very attractive fish, but was told by too many people that they will harass and/or kill other fish. They do have defenders, but with so many other choices, why mess with them?

Kevin,

I just started a 20 about 2 months ago. Having good luck so far, except I think my platy got swim bladder disease.

I have a dwarf gourami as one of my centerpiece fish. He's really very beautiful, and has behaved himself, as has my swordtail.

I just got 5 long-finned zebra danios on Saturday. They are fun to watch, but I hear they're jumpers, so watch your cover.

I looked into tiger barbs because they are very attractive fish, but was told by too many people that they will harass and/or kill other fish. They do have defenders, but with so many other choices, why mess with them?

If you had a semi aggressive tank with shorter finned fish and knew that they could get nippy it would not be so big a deal especially with other fish that will defend themselves. They just don't have a place in a peaceful community tank IMO.

Personally I think you're going to have problems, big problems, with your fish choices. First of all, Serpae Tetras are conspecific fin-nippers when kept in numbers less than a *minimum* of 6. They are famous for this. Secondly, your fish choices are going to seriously outgrow your tank. Assuming you're skipping the Tiger Barbs, and assuming you're going with the minimum of 6 Zebra Danios, which I agree with, and assuming you're going to use the 1" per gallon general guideline, which I also (generally) agree with, here's what you've got so far.

6 Zebra Danios - Full grown total inches about 12" (2" ea.)
6 Serpae Tetras - Full grown total inches about 12" (2" ea.)
6 Banjo Catfish - Full grown total inches 36" (6" ea.)

That's a total of 60" of fish in a 29 gallon tank! I'm not sure why everone is agreeing with your fish selections, but I see this as a serious problem...

The inch per gallon rule is well, obsolete. Now days it's more over how big is this fish's bioload or something like that. The fish the OP selected have a fairly small bioload.

I'm not sure where you've gotten the idea that the one inch per gallon guideline is obsolete. It is often referenced in all the major magazines, websites, and other literature. It is hardly obsolete. It isn't a rule, it is a guideline. The bioload of the fish is certainly taken into account, along with activity level, aggression level, territoriality, and other factors. But I hope you're not suggesting that the bioload of 60" of any fish is suitable for a 29 gallon tank? Additionally, he's planning to have six 6" fish in his tank....I'm looking at a 29 gallon tank as I type this and there won't even be room for them to move around! How can anyone think this ok?

Back
Top Bottom