betta friend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubinthebetta

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi i have a 10g tank and this is my first time with an actual tank not a little box and i have a red male veil tail beta fish and my dad is bringing me to get some other community fish to keep in there with him. i need to know what kind to get so that i dont become the reason my beta killed an innocent fish :( please help becouse were going in 3 days!

IMO I wouldn't put Neons in a 10 gal; they are small but active and require more swimming room plus they may be too active for a betta. Honestly fish with bettas are hit and miss; it's going to largely depend on the personality of your betta. Anything you put in there could potentially become an expensive snack. Do you know the temperament of your betta? Have you tried anything in with it yet? You definitely don't want anything that has flowing fins like guppies.

You could start with a snail and see how the betta reacts to it. If it attacks it then it's a good bet that fish won't work. If not, then you can try some appropriate fish and see what happens but have a backup plan. Some fish that would work in a 10 gal are nano fish like ember tetra, chili rasbora or celestial pearl danio (a school of 6 is preferred) , some shrimp might work too but again it'll depend on the betta.

+1
I wouldn't recommend neons. Schooling fish in general with bettas are always going to be a risk. I would say cories are safe. It again not in a ten gallon. Unless it is micro fish isouldnt recommend a school in a ten gallon any way. It's doable but it's better to have a healthily oversized school so that they are healthier happier and look better. Try snails or shrimp with your betta instead. Amano shrimp are supposed to be good. Just introduce them at the bottom not from the surface.

bettaowner said:
Green neons are a great sub for neon tetras.

Yeah I was thinking about getting tetras I'm going on Friday so I'm excited and people keep saying betta don't feet lonely but the tank is so big and hes so small and it kinda looks wrong

It might appear to look wrong but the truth is some fish are just meant to be solitary pets in terms of their overall happiness. 10 gallons is a good size for a single betta but once you add any other sort of fish that particular tank size is immediately considered pretty small. It sounds like you're going to try the tetras and I really hope it works out! :) Just be prepared to either rehome or return them in the likely chance it doesn't work out too. Good luck!

You dont need to buy your betta a friend you should be your bettas friend. It sounds stupid but betta fish like to interact with people alot more than other fish. that being said tetras and bettas have been done before and sometimes it works out. GL!!

azmodan said:
It might appear to look wrong but the truth is some fish are just meant to be solitary pets in terms of their overall happiness. 10 gallons is a good size for a single betta but once you add any other sort of fish that particular tank size is immediately considered pretty small. It sounds like you're going to try the tetras and I really hope it works out! :) Just be prepared to either rehome or return them in the likely chance it doesn't work out too. Good luck!

The fish store was trying to sell the tetras for $5 each so I am going to pet smart tomorrow to see the price the guy at the store obvious had no idea what he was doing he was trying to get me to move the betta to a container that was 1/10 the size of the 10g tank plus the fish he was taking care of had no air holes in their little cups and you would be able to tell they hadn't been cleaned in weeks and some fish were dead most of them looked sick too

Good call not to buy fish in that store. It sounds like they are not a good fish store. Good luck with it..

Back
Top Bottom